An Interestig SGU Debate

Tanith
Okay im not here to be involved in an argument just came to pass this along:

http://www.tvovermind.com/stargate-universe/tvo-report-card-stargate-universe-episodes-1-10/18692

Its a debate between someone who likes SGU and someone who doesn't. Its one of the first ive seen that gets across both points of view well without it turning in an argument. I hope that it helps to convey what the opposite viewpoint is.

Re: An Interestig SGU Debate

US06154
I guess Featherlite posted this on the 14th of Feb 2010. Something interesting caught my eye on page 3:

http://www.tvovermind.com/stargate-universe/tvo-report-card-stargate-universe-episodes-1-10/18692/3

"Setting aside the fact that this is a sci-fi show, there should be no sex in space.  Why?  Because these people came through the Stargate with the clothes on their backs and some random crates of supplies.  Screwing like bunnies with no birth control is really going to start causing logistical problems in the second season"

I posted this on the 12th of Feb 2010 around 07:25am: (Series 2 Baddies Thread)

" But with all the boinking going on, aboard SGU, how come we don't have a bunch of pregnant women running around? Come on, don't tell me that while forgetting to bring food aboard, they quickly grabbed cases of Trojans and Birth control pills??, I guess, the Primary Directive was, Food is overrated, let's just fuck till we drop?"

Aah, co-incidence you say?? or are we attracting some good traffic to our "little forum"?? I say "Yeah Baby"

Re: An Interestig SGU Debate

The only interesting point in the whole discussion is the fact that the bloke who likes SG Ewww agrres with 90% of what the bloke who hates it is saying. This proves that even people that like the show have serious concerns about it.
Admit it, the show is shit and should be canned.

PGU

Re: An Interestig SGU Debate

PGU
"Aah, co-incidence you say?? or are we attracting some good traffic to our "little forum"?? I say "Yeah Baby" "

Just because you say it is doesn't make it so.  Far more probable is that someone else had the same thought after thinking about it.  Simplest explaination tends to be the correct one.

Re: An Interestig SGU Debate

US06154
So you agree that 4 out 5 Dentists SGU viewers are now thinking that this steaming pile of crap actually reeks, and the last one is in denial, untill he has tasted enough?

Your words: " Far more probable is that someone else had the same thought after thinking about it. Simplest explanation tends to be the correct one."

Therefore we come to the conclusion of the "Simplest explanation tends to be the correct one. That SGU sucks big donkey schlong"

But really, why the fuck are you hanging around here, trying to pass off as a person who's interested in this debate? it is very evident that you don't see our point of view, not by a long shot. So why go into all this trouble?

PGU

Re: An Interestig SGU Debate

PGU
"So you agree that 4 out 5 Dentists SGU viewers are now thinking that this steaming pile of crap actually reeks, and the last one is in denial, untill he has tasted enough?"

Do you always go on complete tangents that don't have anything to do with what is being discussed?

"Therefore we come to the conclusion of the "Simplest explanation tends to be the correct one. That SGU sucks big donkey schlong"

What explaination? When did I mention the quality of SGU?  Again, complete tangent a.k.a straw man argument.

"But really, why the fuck are you hanging around here,  trying to pass off as a person who's interested in this debate? it is very evident that you don't see our point of view, not by a long shot. So why go into all this trouble?"

Busting logical fallacies is a hobby of mine.

Re: An Interestig SGU Debate

US06154
Who the fuck died and made you "Fallacy Buster" of the Universe? (Stargate. that is).

Also you are blabbing under the deluded assumption, that you are the foremost expert of all things Stargate, (because only an utter moron would be going after Windmills a la "Don Quixote", as you are, "bustin' Fallacies"). So Once again, I ask you, What makes you the ultimate Know-it-all in the Stargate universe? So unless you are NOT one of Binder, Wright, Cooper or Mallozzi, just shut the fuck up, Wanker.

Re: An Interestig SGU Debate

Why does it look like PGU is just a clone of Tanith.

Anyway, PGU needs to reply my response weeks back where I pretty much pwned him, before attempting to repeating any of the same bullshit. This "get pwned, hide for 2 weeks then post the same shit again" tactic doesn't work around here.

Re: An Interestig SGU Debate

SexyDexy
I didn't carefully read the entire debate, but I found one point quite funny. If you average the ratings across the entire report cards, you get the following:

The guy who hates SGU gives it a: C-
The guy who loves SGU gives it a: B-

Frankly, that's sad. For someone who loves SGU, the show average report card really should be higher. I don't call a show I rank B- overall a show I "love." I'd call that a show I could "mildly tolerate." A show I LOVE would have to be ranked A overall.

My calculations:

The guy who hates SGU: B, F, D, A, D, F, D, C (avg. in numbers, (2+5+4+1+4+5+4+3)/8 = 3.5 = C-)
The guy who loves SGU: A, D, I, A, F, C-, D-, A+ (avg. in numbers, (1+4+1+5+3.5+4.5+0.5)/7 = 2.79, which I approximated to B-, but really it's closer to a C!!).

Re: An Interestig SGU Debate

stonelesscutter
Well I have read the review that Tanith linked to and I just wanted to post a few words on the comments made by the SGU-lover Mark.

Destiny (the ancient ship itself)
"A (Mark) – The Destiny is a character in itself, because it holds just as many secrets as the human characters do. The place has plenty of areas waiting to be explored and dissected, but most importantly, it holds secrets of the first set of Ancients before they Ascended. As Featherlite mentioned, the 12-hour explore time limits exploration outside the ship. But that’s the beauty of it. Instead of spending two or three days on an off-world planet, the characters can explore the ship, which as I stated above is the Holy Grail when it comes to Ancient secrets and technology. I also find it more believable that the characters would be kind of scared to not travel off world since most of them are inexperienced in that area. Plus, the Destiny houses early versions of Ancient technology that clearly was improved upon after it was launched into space. I think (and hope) that the second half of the first season will explore the Destiny and help answer a lot of questions about the Ancients and give a clue as to how they can get back home."

I have a few remarks on this bit. Firstly, there is a huge indiscrepancy between Destiny being about 100000 years old and the ancients dating back millions of years. Apparently the writers haven't been able to incorporate their new story into the old one pretty well or they simply didn't give a crap about it. Watch the season 6 episode of SG-1 titled "Frozen" for reference. Mark mentions there is more room for emphasis on exploration of the ship but we're 10 episodes in and what exploration have we really seen. He also hopes that the second half will reveal stuff about the ancients and give clues on how the crew can get back home. I am pretty sure Mark is in for a major disappointment as there is completely no reason for the writers to involve the ancients since they have put the focus on 'the wrong people being in the wrong place'. Also it would be pretty dumb to reveal a potential way home this soon in the series since it is all about being along for the ride wether the 'crew' likes it or not.

The SGC (Star Gate Command)
"D (Mark) – Everything Featherlite said I stand behind on this grading, but I got to give it a ‘D’, because with the crew of the Destiny far away from Earth, SGU can’t rely on the use of the SGC for backup, which heightens the tension even more. The show’s motto is that the people aboard the Destiny are “the wrong people”. I like this scenario and hope it stays that way, because SGA, who was supposedly cut off from Earth as well, got help from the SGC at the end of its first season. That kind of tarnished the rogue aspect of SGA with me that I think SGU is trying to correct. Notice I said trying. But I, for one, never liked SGC, because, to me, they seemed like a ‘shoot first, ask questions later’ type of group, which is soooo not cool when dealing with aliens. But one group that I think should just be excluded all together is the IOA, which after some research, seems like the bane to any SGC member, fan, or anyone else, because of their duplicitous ways and ability to screw things up. Since Camile Wray is an IOA member, I think we will finally see just how down and dirty these idiots can get."

Okay here Mark refers to heightening of tension because the 'crew' can't rely on the SGC for backup. Ahem... Then what's with the freakin' comm-stones all the time driving the so called tension straight into the ground? Then I see Mark talking about the SGC as if they're in the business of shooting aliens. I remember that he said he hadn't watched a full season of SG-1, well maybe he should, and not just one season but all of them, because his comment seems rather ridiculous to me. Then Mark talks about the IOA which ofcourse has nothing to do with the SGC so why is this involved in his rating the SGC with a D?

The Stones
"C- (Mark) – I have to give them a C-, even though I hate them. They started out being a convenience, but quickly turned into a nuisance, especially with Telford’s obsession with guarding the communication stones room on a 24-hour basis. I think that someone should either steal the stones or lose one of them to handicap their communication home. Hopefully they can be put on the backburner for now and focus on the drama on the ship."

Really Mark... How can you hate the stones and still rate them with a c minus. That's like saying "hey dude, I fucking hate you, but you're alright".

Synopsis
"Mark:  To sum up, Stargate Universe is the Stargate franchise’s Deep Space Nine in that DS9 got a lot of flack: “they are stuck on a space station, they don’t have a ship, why is the commander of the station a ‘commander’ and not a ‘captain’”, etc. But DS9 produced some of the best character drama to ever grace the screens of sci-fi TV. DS9, to me, was a precursor to the recent BSG incarnation in tone and atmosphere, but it stands on its own in the canon of Star Trek as the show that dared to try something different and came out on top, IMHO. So I think that SGU will follow the same path: Scrutiny first, praise later. Mark my words…"

Okay I see a lot of talk about DS9 and some BSG and ah there it is, also something about SGU. So Mark thinks there will be a lot of praise later for SGU. Hmmm... Well if there is ever going to be praise, which I consider rather unlikely, it won't be for season one. But Mark, I have marked your words. Thank you for your review. Well... Thank you for trying I mean.

Re: An Interestig SGU Debate

Atlantis4Life
I've stopped paying attention to these SGU debates/arguments because the pro-SGU people always have a hard time defending it.  They end up conceding to almost every criticism and respond with "But...it'll get better...Let's just wait and see...I thought the same thing until I made myself watch it over and over again until I couldn't tell left from right or up from down and now I can see what the writers are trying to do...etc."

Re: An Interestig SGU Debate

Insomnium
Atlantis4Life wrote
I've stopped paying attention to these SGU debates/arguments because the pro-SGU people always have a hard time defending it.  They end up conceding to almost every criticism and respond with "But...it'll get better...Let's just wait and see...I thought the same thing until I made myself watch it over and over again until I couldn't tell left from right or up from down and now I can see what the writers are trying to do...etc."
I would say it's more a "carrot-on-a-stick", than an actual defense.

And about the "it'll get better" crowd: Considering Malozzi's rant in October, forgive me for having severe doubts about that happening.

Re: An Interestig SGU Debate

Atlantis4Life
Welcome Insomnium!

Oh yes, they've never really had any defense.  That doesn't stop them from trying, though.  Mr. Mallozzi was being honest in October, I don't think he can afford it now. So, you know...
                                                      Bring Atlantis Back!!!