Anyone for a new Petition online?

US06154
I hope Atlantis4life or Pebble will start off (I would've but I could not find the original damn quotes tptb said about how Atlantis cast could never be on SGU. I would really like to get a new petition going Asking Atlantis Cast NOT TO take part in the Fiasco that is SGU. Basically I want it to be blackmail. we went out to bat for Cast and crew of Atlantis, when the show was cancelled. We don't want them to show their faces on SGU. If they do, they run the risk of any future show they might be being boycotted.

Sorry, But I really feel strong about it. I don't care about bit part players, But Shepherd, Tayla, McKay, Ronon, Beckett, Weir, Zelenka or any other Prominent Actor easily identified with Atlantis, cannot, absolutely should not step on the set of SGU. We stand behind our beloved shows and Actors, They fucking well better stand behind us too.

Re: Anyone for a new Petition online?

MissSGA
Petition sounds good but I think finally it will have no effects . Why? Because money rules the world and actors have a real life that must be paid all over.
I don't believe that whoever will join SGshitty will enjoy this work but fact is that there will be someone do a cameo. I hope this visit will have no effect to the ratings and the decicion about a third season or the cancellation so hard this sounds .

Re: Anyone for a new Petition online?

SerenityS
Michael Shanks certainly was open about his feelings for SGU - not a big fan, but a job is a job and I doubt that most of the actors on SGA would turn down a role if offered (JF and JM being the possible exceptions). Not that I'd be happy about it necessarily, but I don't think I would feel betrayed or anything if they did, just resigned to the way the world works.

Re: Anyone for a new Petition online?

TelepathicPebble
As of right now there's really nothing we can do. I fucking don't want them to put any damn Atlantis characters on SGU. Production has probably already began and decisions already made. Plus petitions are really damn stressful....people don't realize how hard it was to get the amount we got for the Save SGA petition (currently verging on 39,000 signatures). Now I look at current campaigns (SOS: Save Our Seeker...'Legend of the Seeker' was cancelled), and they're getting +20,000 easy.

Petitions take a very long time and Stargate Atlantis fans are less active now that the show has been cancelled. I've never known a petition for a tv show to be any good. And I've known that while fighting for Atlantis. Petitions are merely morale boosters.

Normally I'd shake my fists, get out my war-horn and protest to the death. But we have to pick our battles. This is one we can't win. It's purely up to the actors, and I'd imagine some of them would love to get back at TPTB by acting on their dreadful show...

But as I said before, 'battles'. We have plenty to do already, for real man. There's the Stargate Movies Campaign that practically just began & are starting their mail campaign on Monday. I know they need a lot of help so I have some work to do, and by the looks of it their forum is depressingly empty....I feel awkwardly alone there....Next let's see, we still have the SGUsucks Newspaper that needs submissions and we have a good amount of time before SGU starts up again.

Therefore I'm going to be sharpening my axes and swords for war. What war? SGU's cancellation. Everybody knows its going to be cancelled either midway through the season or it just won't be renewed for a third. But that means there will of course be rabid zombie hordes of SGU lovers who will attempt their own 'Save SGU' campaign--it's only predictable.

Once that starts...oh things will get fun. This website and their campaign will inevitably clash. Of course, they have no chance of getting SGU renewed....but a war's a war and I certainly intend to make as many banners opposing SGU as possible before they even get a chance to create one. I want to be as prepared as possible....all their little protest videos will be down rated....oh I'll make sure of that...plus by then youtube will be littered with anti-SGU material..

After SGU is cancelled I'd imagine there will be a party--I certainly am going to. I'm actually going to publish a "SGU is cancelled" post on my FightforAtlantis website just so I can reserve a post to party at....then the next battle after that is trying to get SGU to be officially uncanon. Can you do that? I thought the trekkies did that once when one of their shows turned out to be garbage.
Rotating Signature

Re: Anyone for a new Petition online?

US06154 wrote
I hope Atlantis4life or Pebble will start off (I would've but I could not find the original damn quotes tptb said about how Atlantis cast could never be on SGU. I would really like to get a new petition going Asking Atlantis Cast NOT TO take part in the Fiasco that is SGU. Basically I want it to be blackmail. we went out to bat for Cast and crew of Atlantis, when the show was cancelled. We don't want them to show their faces on SGU. If they do, they run the risk of any future show they might be being boycotted.

Sorry, But I really feel strong about it. I don't care about bit part players, But Shepherd, Tayla, McKay, Ronon, Beckett, Weir, Zelenka or any other Prominent Actor easily identified with Atlantis, cannot, absolutely should not step on the set of SGU. We stand behind our beloved shows and Actors, They fucking well better stand behind us too.

Pebble is right about the campaigns and about picking your battles.  I also don't see the point in the petition.  However, if you still want to set up a petition to let the SGA cast know that there are fans out there that don't want them tainted by appearances on SGU, then you can do that.  You don't need quotes to do that. But, I do understand how you feel.

Last thing:

You're spelling some of the characters' names wrong.  At first I thought it was a typo when you did it before, but you keep doing it buddy.

It's Sheppard not "Shepherd."  And, it's Teyla not "Tayla."  I just thought you might want to know if you're going to do any campaigns/petitions.

Cheers.

Aah, I see (said the blind man). A rose by any other name.... But I'd better get those names correct, I don't want to be noted as a poseur, when I can't even get the names correct for the the petition.

Re: Anyone for a new Petition online?

farscape fans once rallied when their show got canceled and they got a mini series. But I'm not sure if they started a petition, a site or how the managed to get it to work.

Re: Anyone for a new Petition online?

TelepathicPebble
Mitchelluva wrote
farscape fans once rallied when their show got canceled and they got a mini series. But I'm not sure if they started a petition, a site or how the managed to get it to work.
Interesting, I'll see if I can find out what they did. But usually campaigns for saving shows breakup immediately after their failure or success, thus causing the website to go down leaving hardly any evidence of their existence. Just like how the STLC and SOSGA websites went down a few months back along with their awesome banners. I only managed to save one or two. Sigh.
Rotating Signature

Re: Anyone for a new Petition online?

STCLARE
trouble is, we the fans want it but the producers dont. in farscapes case the producers etc were doing all they could to get it made so were the cast from what i remember. we dont have that back up esp from tptb and well the actors, i would not blame them if they didnt want to work for them again. maybe if its done by new people in charge all the way down, writters, producers etc.
but my hope waines with this one.

Re: Anyone for a new Petition online?

MissSGA
Mh, successful campaigns I only remember the nuts-delivery for a second season of Jericho. But I don't know how much the decision about a reacting of the show was from the fanbase and how much from production. And the ending was a cancellation after a few episodes . I hope there will be someone join the franchise to do a new SGA-show in a few years. Therefore it is important for me to keep the fandom alive. Yes, with fanfics and fanart but alive. As long as there are active SGA-fans who are fight for the return of the show I can hope it will happen sometime. Not with the beloved characters  but with fresh ideas I hope.

Re: Anyone for a new Petition online?

Phoenix327
I agree with TelepathicPebble about picking your fights, and I will definitely be giddy when the news of SGU's cancellation finally comes down, but assuming that's inevitable what's next for the franchise?

Yes, we should stick it to SGU whenever possible, but when it tanks(already happening IMO and I think TPTB know it) what's THEIR next move? Let the franchise die? I don't think so. It's too valuable as a money maker with a built in audience. A new show starts from scratch, but a new stargate already has a fanbase. I don't think they're stick the stake in stargate's proverbial heart, they'll continue in some form.

I think some of the hardcore fans efforts should be in nudging their decision in the direction we want them to go. SGU sucks, we told them so from the get go, maybe they'll be inclined to listen to what we want the next time around, but in order to do that we need to be vocal about what we want and not be vague.

That's why I posted the idea for the 4th series. I think it answers all the questions we've asked about things like the 9th chevron, ancients timeline, the plague, the drones, the city's weapons(mentioned in season 1 then completely disregarded) etc. The idea that the 9th chevron is linked to the color of the lights on the gates is brilliant and makes sense why there's a difference. There is so much in that first season that just blows the mind away that I'd be overly excited if it was made into a series, and I think other loyal fans would be too.

Point being, we need to start looking forward instead of just bitching about past wrongs(we still need to bitch, but it can't be our only focus) and kick TPTB in the ass. After SGU they might be inclined to look into an idea of a Fan-Preapproved series just to avoid any future blame. Kind of a "see, we tried it your way" PR campaign or a "we heard you" campaign to try and get fans back.

If we offer them an option, already written out(hard work done by the fan author) and already vetted by the faithful, it will be us contributing something other than just complaining(from their point of view). Also, it gives us an answer to all the "you can't do any better" arguements about stargate's remaining potential and the SGU is making the best of a limited creative situation.

"Stargate:Return of the Ancients", I think, could be a legitimate chance of us(the fans) taking the Stargate franchise into our own hands in at least a symbolic way. We can say "do this" rather than "we hate this, you suck". Yes, SGU does suck and the writers have sucked up the farm with it, but "we hate you" isn't going to get them to do it our way. If the tone changes to "We love your old stuff, but hate the new stuff, go back to the old in this formate and we've got your backs again" then that might have a chance of getting through to them(in so much as more viewers coming back and higher ratings, equal at least to SGA).

Also, as for the SGA, SG-1 fanbase kind of dissipating, what do they have left to rally around other than vengeance against SGU? They need HOPE. They need a clear path ahead, not just nostalgia and hate(though hate goes a long way, I know I'm still simmering).

HOPE is the key, and I think this fan-written series is the key. R.O.T.A. can give a name to our desire for real writing and CANON connective stories. It also reuses the beloved characters, which I think everyone would get behind(rather than cameos).

Look to the past and Stargate is dead(or mutated into something hideous). I think looking to the future is our only hope.

-Phoenix327

Re: Anyone for a new Petition online?

Atlantis4Life
Phoenix327 wrote
If we offer them an option, already written out(hard work done by the fan author) and already vetted by the faithful, it will be us contributing something other than just complaining(from their point of view). Also, it gives us an answer to all the "you can't do any better" arguements about stargate's remaining potential and the SGU is making the best of a limited creative situation.
Nice idea, but Joseph Mallozzi has already stated that they are not allowed to take ideas/pitches from the fans.  So, I don't think this will work.

Personally, I'm done with the SG franchise outside of SGA.  For me, it's a case of "Screwed me once, I guess it's shame on me for giving Stargate a chance by watching a great show like SGA and it turning out to be a disaster by the end for lack of proper care by its handlers.  Screwed me twice with SGU - no explanation necessary.  Give TPTB a third turn at screwing me?  Not a chance!"

It'd be nice if they could do a great SGA movie, but at this point I highly doubt that it's possible.

I'm also still holding on to my never-will-come-true dream for JJ Abrams to do an Atlantis movie, or even better, an Atlantis miniseries that would give SGA a proper ending.

However, writing a good fanfic for people that are interested is always a good idea.  That will entertain fans that still want to read more about what's possible for Stargate.

Cheers.

Re: Anyone for a new Petition online?

STCLARE
Im afraid im with you. I woud watch any atlantis stuff thats done and have alreay got the two books relased a couple of weeks ago. i however would not be interested in another series from them unless it contains Mckay & Sheppard.

They had already stated before RCC left that they would not do anything else within the franchise when SGPOO ends. that inlcudes Malozzi though im unsure if Paul Mullie has said that come to tink of it?? which means for mgm to continue the franchise they would need new writting staff and producers/show runners. in the present climate i can see them sitting back and waiting a while before continuing this fracture franchise. after all the franchise would be ending on a low with SGPoo not the high it should be ending on.

Re: Anyone for a new Petition online?

MissSGA
I see your position. As a fanfic-author I totally understand your position and would wish it comes true. But I'm realistic enough to know that this will not happen. Not every fan is interested in fanfictions and when time goes by you will learn the writing work will go harder because you will arrive a point in writing when you will know all about your series, the characters, the enemies ... It's hard work to write from there on, and it will get every time a little bit harder. You will need fresh an new ideas not to running dry. What will happen if you are running dry you can see by watching season 5 of Atlantis.

You are right, for some of us fans it is the right way and it is a real way to keep the fandom alive. I know the Dr. Who-fandom was living over years only with fanfics and a magazine till BBC restarted the series in 2005. Or another example was StarTrek. The fandom stayed alive over centuries till TNG was made. I hope something else will happen to SG. And perhaps there will be fans envolved in a new incarnation as happened in ST. But at least it's a financial and business decision. We fans only have the chance to tell our mispleasure about falling or rising ratings.

Well, okay, I don't think TPTB or any other production team do not lurk what's happen in the fandom. Especially for SGA ... wasn't there an author who was more or less active in the fandom? Uhm ... don't remember the name but I'm pretty sure about that. One of the first ones who left the show I think. It could a lucky chance but some episodes were written short after discussings about special situations/possibilities in the fandom.

But that is not the point. The hard and bad truth is that it is nearly impossible to get a show via a fanfic. But it's possible to keep the fandom alive with fanfics, fanarts, vids and so much more. In that way I wish all the best and never running dry of ideas for you and good luck with your series.