Are the network already turning against SGU?

Are the network already turning against SGU?

Will
Take a look at this:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/12/syfy-cancels-sgu-christmas-day-marathon/

Seems that the planned 10 hour SGU Christmas Day marathon on Syfy has been cancelled in favour of some good 'ole fashioned scifi movies. Wonder what triggered that.

Re: Are the network already turning against SGU?

GetMallozziFired
This author removed his/her Nabble account.

Re: Are the network already turning against SGU?

alien0-2

Re: Are the network already turning against SGU?

KOBE SBM
AH HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thats what they get. What the hell have they done with our Stargate? They locked it up in the trunk of a black sedan and fishtailed around the nearest corner. Then, in October, this strange imposter showed up wearing the Stargate Universe name badge but was dressed like Brooke Armstrong from Melrose Place. Caprica has been done the same way, except its even WORSE than SGU. What the hell has happened at SciFi...er, SyFy. It sounds like some pet name for Syphillis.

Cancel this pig. I give it no further than the end of Season 2.

Re: Are the network already turning against SGU?

This is great news.  I knew that few people were going to watch it anyway.  I personally think that they might not have had the support from the advertisers that they needed too.  I'm with the DS9 idea, or Atlantis.  The best part about that article is that the re-runs of SG1/SGA are coming back as normal in Jan and Ghost in the Machine is airing this weekend.  That was a good episode.

Been busy and came here first.  Glad I did.  The dvr+7 numbers should be available but they are not being posted as of yet.  I'm guessing they are not that good.

Ciao

Re: Are the network already turning against SGU?

Will
It will be interesting to see the DVR figures. Do you know whether they just measure how many viewers recorded the show, or whether they include only viewers that actually watched the episode they recorded? In any case, I wonder if DVR figures are of limited value because viewers tend to skip past the ads on shows they recorded...so whether advertisers will pay much attention to them, I'm not sure.

Re: Are the network already turning against SGU?

Atlantis4Life
They do actually track who watched the DVRed material.  So, if someone DVRs a show and doesn't watch it (especially within the first few 7 days of airing) it doesn't count.  And, you're right - they're not as important as live + same day dvr viewers because people skip most of the commercials.

Here's a good article on the subject:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/12/21/faq-do-dvr-viewers-matter/36917

Cheers

Re: Are the network already turning against SGU?

classicgatefan

Re: Are the network already turning against SGU?

classicgatefan

Re: Are the network already turning against SGU?

US06154
I also read somewhere, that they had pulled out SGU from the Monday Lineup on Channel 10, Australia. Couldn't find the original source, but here's a chached copy of it. Australian Channel 10 Dumps SGU

Re: Are the network already turning against SGU?

US06154
Just in case, the Cached copy gets dumped too.. Here's the article.

The non-ratings contradiction continues. It is non-ratings season yet networks still feel the need to drop shows when they do not perform up to scratch.

The latest two victims are Stargate Universe and Supernatural - both which form part of a good Sci Fi night in on Ten on Monday nights. Last Monday the two shows achieved ratings of 487,000 and 394,000 respectively.

Have you seen this video yet?

But when compared to everything else on TV at the moment, and taking into account the fact that it is the week between Christmas and New Years, these figures are not really that bad. Other shows like Accidentally on Purpose, the Office, Rules of Engagement and Malcolm in the Middle - all seen on Ten are also pulling those sorts of figures. NCIS repeats on Tuesdays are doing better, but the low numbers of just over 600,000 for a show that normally can attract over a million even in repeats is what would be expected at this time of year.

Surely the decision to take these two shows off is a little rushed, especially considering that Stargate Universe has only seen four episodes air on Ten, and the last episode was not one of the shows’ best either. Perhaps they (Ten) should consider the fact that these figures are what everything else on Ten is doing at the moment and let them grow in ratings from next week when some normality starts returning to people’s routines.

Monday nights on Ten from Jan 4 will see movies in the 8.30pm timeslot. Jan 4 it is the Siege, then Double Jeopardy on Jan 11, and Speed Jan 18. These movies, in my opinion, will most likely pull the same, if not worse, ratings than the Sci Fi double was doing. At this stage, there are no alternative air dates for Stargate Universe and Supernatural.

Lucky for me, I have been watching Stargate Universe recorded from the Sci Fi channel - I almost deleted the unwatched episodes to make space on my IQ2 knowing that I would be able to see them on Ten, but held back on that decision! Just as well. You just can’t rely on free to air anymore to keep series on the air. I really feel sorry for those who don’t have pay TV in this situation.

Yes, Stargate Universe is not a mass appeal show, so its never going to rate through the roof, but it does attract a dedicated fan base and taking it off the air simply drives them further away from free to air TV. The only solution here, will be for Ten to launch their 3rd channel sooner, rather than later, so all these shows that drop off their schedule can at least be shown somewhere just like what Nine is doing with GO and Seven with 7TWO. Stargate Atlantis in fact has been one of the highest rating shows on 7TWO.

Ten has made the most changes to their schedule for summer, with Nine a close second. Seven seems to remain relatively stable. Ten are regularly coming third and even fourth in network shares while Nine is mostly on top during summer so far

Re: Are the network already turning against SGU?

Aussie cancellation. http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/12/gone-stargate-universe-supernatural.html

What's really interesting is that looking at their coments even in AU there's a whole lot of people that also say the show sucks for all the same reasons. Every site I go to the comments are the same. The only ones that don't seem to get it are Wright, Cooper and Mallozzi.