Deliberate deception?

Will
I was just thinking about all the hype that surrounded the run up to SGU and wondered whether we, the fans, had simply assumed it was going to retain the core Stargate elements of humour, adventure, action, new races, enemies etc or whether we were in fact deliberately misled. I was sure I read that it was "going to contain all the action and adventure of Stargate but with a new twist" or something....so I dug up the articles on Gateworld with the original SGU press releases and interviews etc, and here is what I found...

Most of this is taken from http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s1/100.shtml which was the page they kept updating with info about SGU in the year running up to its release.

Some notable excerpts below, followed by some numbered observations:

"After unlocking the mystery of the Stargate's ninth chevron, a team of explorers (1) travels to an unmanned starship called the Destiny, launched by the Ancients at the height of their civilization as a grand experiment set in motion, but never completed.

What starts as a simple reconnaissance turns into a never ending mission (2), as the Stargate Universe crew discovers the ship is unable to return to Earth, and they must now fend for themselves aboard the Destiny.

The crew will travel to the far reaches of the universe, connecting with each of the previously launched Stargates (3), thus fulfilling the Destiny’s original mission. Challenges will arise though as the ship comes into range of Stargates placed centuries ahead of the Destiny and the crew is unable to control the ship’s navigational schedule. If someone is left behind, there is no way to go back for them, adding to the drama of encountering new races(4), enemies (5) and adventures (6)."

**Comments: (1) They aren't a "team of explorers". (2) There is no mission. (3) They've hardly used the Stargate. (4) What new races? (5) What enemies? (6) What adventures?

"Brad and Robert are very eager to keep the action and adventure and the sense of humor (7) [in Stargate Universe]. But I think there's an opportunity to maybe inject a bit more dramatic intensity (8) into the series. But that's obviously a conversation for them as they start to script and move into development."

**Comments: (7) So they were going to keep the action and adventure and the sense of humor from the previous shows? Well, where the hell is it? Obviously their "eagerness" got misplaced somewhere??

""... What's unique about this [Stargate] chapter is it's going to be set entirely in space (9)."

**Comments: (9) So, this was supposed to be THE unique feature of SGU? That it's set entirely in space? So what the hell is up with 75% of the first series being crappy Earth based drama?

"As anticipated, the team is led by an older veteran officer, Colonel Everett Young. Young is described as "like the Jack O'Neill of ten years ago, but Young's edges have tended to sharpen over time.(10)"

Comments: (10) WTF? Young is like Jack O'Neill?

Conclusion: We were most definitely misled into thinking this was going to bring back all the great elements from the shows we knew and loved. They told us we were going to get all the action, adventure and humour from the previous series. They told us that this was going to have all the elements of Stargate with the added unique twist that it took place entirely in space. They told us there were going to be adventures, alien races, enemies; that the crew were going to be explorers, on a mission; that they were going to be constantly visiting new planets; that the lead character was going to be like Jack O'Neill. AND THEY WONDER WHY WE'RE DISAPPOINTED??!??!?

Re: Deliberate deception?

alien0-2