Oh for f**k sakes ...

Bluce Ree
Of all the elements they could have brought into SGU from the last 15 years, why did they pick the most benign, irrelevant, inconsequential "bad guys" ever created, the Lucian Alliance?

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/03/robert-knepper-cast-on-stargate-universe/

"Knepper will play Simeon, a member of the Lucian Alliance, in a story arc spanning six to seven episodes (story)."

So, they're toning down the drama to complete boredom spanning 6 episodes.

For an actor coming to SGU, I find his list of credits quite ironic:

"His long list of screen credits also includes The Day The Earth Stood Still, Good Night, and Good Luck, and Murder, She Wrote."

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Atlantis4Life
Bluce Ree wrote
Of all the elements they could have brought into SGU from the last 15 years, why did they pick the most benign, irrelevant, inconsequential "bad guys" ever created, the Lucian Alliance?

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/03/robert-knepper-cast-on-stargate-universe/

"Knepper will play Simeon, a member of the Lucian Alliance, in a story arc spanning six to seven episodes (story)."

So, they're toning down the drama to complete boredom spanning 6 episodes.

For an actor coming to SGU, I find his list of credits quite ironic:

"His long list of screen credits also includes The Day The Earth Stood Still, Good Night, and Good Luck, and Murder, She Wrote."

LOL.  I got a good chuckle off of that.

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Bluce Ree
Overmind One wrote
I posted this a couple of days ago on the spoilers thread here: http://www.sgusucks.com/forum-2.html#nabble-f3839896
I've been trying to go through as many older threads as I can to catch up. Sooooooooooooooooo many posts! Seems like the whole world is here posting and/or reading. If just about everyone is here, who the hell is left to like that stupid show?

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Insomnium
Bluce Ree wrote
 The Day The Earth Stood Still
You mean the shitty remake, right?

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Insomnium wrote
Bluce Ree wrote
 The Day The Earth Stood Still
You mean the shitty remake, right?
Well if he was in the original hes around 70 years old

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

stonelesscutter
AdamTM wrote
Well if he was in the original hes around 70 years old
It's still hard to tell going on that picture they have of him.

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Willl
Figures that they would choose the Lucian Alliance to be the villains in SGU. The only set of villains in SG1 that were boring. I remember whenever the Lucian Alliance became involved in an episode I would groan inwardly and think "sigh, it's a Lucian Alliance episode..." Not that the episodes ended up being bad, it's just that episodes with the Goa'uld, replicators or Ori were better :)

Btw the Lucian Alliance are aliens right? So I hope that this character will not speak any English (remember their "no English speaking aliens!" promise?)

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

The Lucian Alliance are like the trolls on this site, dumb as fuck and way too easy to beat.

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Willl
piginpoo wrote
The Lucian Alliance are like the trolls on this site, dumb as fuck and way too easy to beat.
Well, apart from in the pilot of SGU, where they suddenly become capable of besting the USS Hammond (packed with Asgard technology including shields, beam weapons, etc), using a few Ha'taks.

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Willl wrote
piginpoo wrote
The Lucian Alliance are like the trolls on this site, dumb as fuck and way too easy to beat.
Well, apart from in the pilot of SGU, where they suddenly become capable of besting the USS Hammond (packed with Asgard technology including shields, beam weapons, etc), using a few Ha'taks.
Yeah, theres so much fucked up continuity/lore issues in the pilot id like to vomit.

First of all, even if the Hammond didnt have beam-weapons, railguns and missiles were quite effective up until now. Fuck, even the Prometheus kicked the shit out of most Hataks.

Ok, lets consider here what Mallozzi said after the episode aired on his blog, ill paraphrase:

"The point is, the other forces of the galaxy didnt sit on their ass, they developed their technology like we do."

Yes, so...wait..no that makes no sense.
Lets see it like this, earth has the complete archive of Asgard knowledge, the Lucian alliance MIGHT have some advanced tech from Baal but thats about it.

If we go that way of thinking, we should easily have stuff that can kick the new Lucian Alliance techs ass.
The point was always, they got numbers, we got the tech. If they showed up with 30 Hataks i would have bought it. But three?

THREE?

Ok, even if we assume that the Hammond had REGULAR shields, AND normal old suckass Railguns, AND no Nukes to beam, also they magically ran out of missiles and coffee, it STILL doesnt make any sense.

Not to mention the trip should have only lasted around 20 seconds for 20 light years with warp.
What did they extra slow down 1000 fold just for the fun? Did it run on gasoline instead of Naquadah generators?

Also why do you even send the Hammond out unequipped? Do you send out battleships or naval carriers without their weapons and fighters just to drop off some dudes IRL?

REALISTIC MY ASS!

If you have a "milkrun" mission IRL you use smaller faster ships (for example a Frigate) in our case a Ghould Cargo Ship (Tokra can lend one).
That brings me to another question:

WHY NOT FUCKING USE THE STARGATE?!

We know Icarus can dial Earth, so why not dial Icarus, send the civilians over, the end?
Right, because then you cant have the lucian alliance get in a fight with a gimped Hammond and no cameo of Amanda Tapping.

If the leaders in SGU were just a tad competent, they would have either:

a. waited with the transport untill the Hammond was fully equipped
or
b. sent the people through the gate

Seriously, why go through all the bother to send an unequipped ship running around civilians, the time would have been better spent to just FUCKING INSTALL THE ESSENTIAL SYSTEMS MORONS!

If a problem arrises with Icarus the hammond then can warp in, in under 20seconds and kick everythings ass TWICE.

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Willl
AdamTM wrote
Ok, lets consider here what Mallozzi said after the episode aired on his blog, ill paraphrase:

"The point is, the other forces of the galaxy didnt sit on their ass, they developed their technology like we do."
Omg, that was his explanation? So we have knowledge and technology that is the culmination of millenia of development by the most advance race of beings in the modern galaxy, the Asgard. The Lucian Alliance have 3 Ha'taks that have had a few months of "development" by a ragtag bunch of marauding space pirates. And they win?

To put it in perspective further, the Odyssey, having just been kitted out with Asgard tech, was able to destroy an Ori mothership in 2-3 shots with the Asgard beam weapon and in the Ark of Truth we saw the shields withstand a good dozen blasts from the Ori cannons. In Atlantis we saw our ships take out wraith hives in 1-2 shots using that same weapon. So, are we to believe that after this magical "development", the Lucian Alliance are more advanced than the Ori and the Wraith? Righhhht...

And yes, I did wonder why they didn't just use the gate to get to Icarus in the first place. Hadn't thought about the ridiculous long transit time, though. But now that you point it out, that's even more stupid. Obviously they needed to find a way for Eli to suddenly know everything there is to know about the Stargate etc, so had to give him time to watch Daniel's videos on their ultra slow journey. And as for the cameos, I can just hear Mallozzi now, "Carter cameo, Daniel cameo, and a tribute to Hammond to boot! That should rope the old fans in good. Continuity issues you say? Bah, nobody will notice those...we all know Stargate fans are all gaming nerds with no lives anyway...aheh heh heh heh."

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Willl wrote
AdamTM wrote
[...]

The briefing explenation doesnt make sense either, that could have been accomplished by letting Eli stay in the SGC Cheyenne complex. Hell, Daniel could brief him personally if hes as important as they made him out to be.

Im sure Eli had a lot of questions after the videbriefing so why not let Daniel handle it in the SGC?

Its things like that that annoy me most about SGU, everybody in the whole fucking universe is incompetent for the sake of the writing.

Jack wouldn't have left SGC to go get Eli, he would have sent an escort and Rush. WTF does he not have anything better to do than go around suburbs talking to gamers?
If they really wanted they would have just beamed him aboard the Hammond and back to SGC if he refused anyways.

Carter commanding a ship is ridiculous anyways, shes in the airforce yeah, but i dont think they would give her an own ship. She doesnt have the ability to properly command a ship this size, sure she might have probably almost built it herself, but thats different to managing a crew of a few dozen.

Its the same as with Scotty from TOS, he never got a command, he was just a way too good engineer to have around.

Actually if you really would have an IOA hearing about this, the whole situation would be blamed on O'Neill. He let civilians on the base, he made the Daedalus go unprepared on a supplyrun and he chose the wrong people for the job.

They really screwed him over in SGU.

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Oh the lamest of the lame villians and HOW in the heck are the lucian alliance supposed to get to the ship??? I have read spoilers that say the Lucian Alliance actually boards the destiny....OMFG how lame and stupid are they???????

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Willl
My guess is that the Lucian Alliance conveniently know about a second gate to Destiny and that the attack on the Icarus base was an attempt to destroy the one that is not under their control to prevent anyone else getting to the Destiny first. After all, the Destiny is "the most important discovery since the stargate" according to Dr. Rush (because obviously an outdated, defunct, uncontrollable spaceship with a crap prototype stargate and no way to go home is a MUCH more important discovery than Atlantis, an entire city full of Ancient tech/knowledge/etc).

I hope they board the Destiny, kill the existing crew, and the rest of the series is about the Lucian Alliance on that ship instead. They'd be far more interesting to watch than this bunch of morons. And given how boring the Lucian Alliance are, that's saying something.

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Rac80
Willl wrote
My guess is that the Lucian Alliance conveniently know about a second gate to Destiny and that the attack on the Icarus base was an attempt to destroy the one that is not under their control to prevent anyone else getting to the Destiny first. After all, the Destiny is "the most important discovery since the stargate" according to Dr. Rush (because obviously an outdated, defunct, uncontrollable spaceship with a crap prototype stargate and no way to go home is a MUCH more important discovery than Atlantis, an entire city full of Ancient tech/knowledge/etc).

I hope they board the Destiny, kill the existing crew, and the rest of the series is about the Lucian Alliance on that ship instead. They'd be far more interesting to watch than this bunch of morons. And given how boring the Lucian Alliance are, that's saying something.
Now that I'd watch!

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Bluce Ree wrote
Of all the elements they could have brought into SGU from the last 15 years, why did they pick the most benign, irrelevant, inconsequential "bad guys" ever created, the Lucian Alliance?

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/03/robert-knepper-cast-on-stargate-universe/

"Knepper will play Simeon, a member of the Lucian Alliance, in a story arc spanning six to seven episodes (story)."

So, they're toning down the drama to complete boredom spanning 6 episodes.
I must disappoint you. The first season of SGU is already finished, so if they engaged Knepper for 6-7 episodes, those episodes must be in the second season. But it is already clear that the Lucian Alliance will be in the last 3 episodes of the first season. So we will have at least 9 episodes with the Lucian Alliance.

And that after Brad Wright said:

“One thing we decided, in our pursuit of realism, was to step away from rubber-faced, English-speaking aliens, and you will see none of those in the new show,” Wright said. “We will run into aliens. They’re just not going to be human, latex-faced, English-speaking aliens.”

http://www.cinemaspy.com/article.php?id=3078

The Lucian Alliance are human and English speaking aliens. I guess CGI effects are too expensive to use often and "rubber" and "latex" is not "real" enough. So let us use lame aliens, who look like humans. Perfect solution!

Personally I think if they needed human looking like aliens, because they couldn't afford the costs for intensive CGI use, they should have used the Aschen. Much cooler bad guys with a much better organization and planning. They could have taken some years to recover from the destruction of their home planet and were searching for means to get revenge on the Earth humans. So they stumble over information of the Icarus Base and thought that they could find there a powerful weapon or something like this.

Everything is better than the Lucian Alliance!

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

Willl
I don't get what he says about them not being "human, latex-faced, English-speaking aliens". I mean obviously if they are human, they aren't going to be latex-faced, and if they are latex-faced, they aren't going to be human. So he is saying that the aliens will look like humans, but will not actually BE humans? We already had that (well kinda) right in the very first Stargate story. They were called the Goa'uld. In fact the Jaffa weren't rubber faced either, neither were the Ori, or the Ancients, or the priors, or the replicators...in fact if you ignore the occasional "guest alien" (like the Unas), the only "rubber faced" mainstream aliens I can think of in Stargate have been the Asgard and the Wraith.

Well anyway it seems he failed, since the Lucian alliance are both human and English-speaking. But since they also promised that this show would have all the action, adventure and humour of the previous shows and that Young would be like O'Neill at the start of SG1, nothing surprises me!

Re: Oh for f**k sakes ...

stonelesscutter
AdamTM wrote
WHY NOT FUCKING USE THE STARGATE?!

We know Icarus can dial Earth, so why not dial Icarus, send the civilians over, the end?
Right, because then you cant have the lucian alliance get in a fight with a gimped Hammond and no cameo of Amanda Tapping.
Well actually it was made clear that for security reasons and the importance of the Icarus base, incoming wormholes on the gate had been disabled. There would therefore be no gating to the planet, only off of it.
123