Question About New Gateworld Poll - Best Season of Atlantis?

Question About New Gateworld Poll - Best Season of Atlantis?

Atlantis4Life
Hey, I just went to Gateworld and saw this poll:

Which season of Stargate Atlantis is your favorite?

Season One      115    20 %
Season Two       56    10 %
Season Three   109    19 %
Season Four     162    28 %
Season Five     143    24 %

TOTAL VOTES: 585 ..

Okay, it's probably needless for me to say that I didn't vote for season 4 or 5.  There were definitely things that I liked about those seasons, and a few of my favorite Atlantis episodes are in seasons 4 and 5.  But, they are not the best seasons to me.  I think that seasons 4 and 5 had better special effects.  My problem with them (as whole seasons, not necessarily each individual episode) is that some of the concepts were better, but the execution was inconsistent (to me) compared to seasons 1-3.  I also didn't like some of the cast changes.  That threw off my ability to enjoy them as much as seasons 1-3.  I am wondering if people are voting for the last 2 seasons because they just remember them more...

Anyway, my question is if you voted for season 4 or 5 as your favorite, can you say why?  This isn't to poke fun, it's a real question to whomever is willing to answer.

Re: Question About New Gateworld Poll - Best Season of Atlantis?

Leo(T.C.K.)
I don't go visit the site even. But as for me, I would maybe vote for season 3 actually. Yeah it had replicators and some may say it was cliched in that, but I think it had some really good moments.
Also there were more jokes in the earlier seasons I guess, or smething? Or maybe people are voting for season 4 and 5 beacuse they were not aired along with SG1, also one of my friends say that he didn't really enjoy Atlantis until fourth season, guess if it is because of Carter or beacuse of more ridiculpous appearances of Wraith.....

Re: Question About New Gateworld Poll - Best Season of Atlantis?

Finally a poll related to Atlantis!!!!
I can't truefully vote since I've yet to see 70% of atlantis. Though Out of all I watch, I like season four, not fair judgement though because I've barely seen 3 and 5

Re: Question About New Gateworld Poll - Best Season of Atlantis?

Funny but I'd say every season is different and unique in it's own way. I'm watching 3 right now. Lots of good eps. Watched the Ark last night. Great sets, must have cost a lot for that one.

I'm not too thrilled about S 4 and 5. Joke cracking Wraith and Connor Trinnear don't do it for me. Trinnear was always a special guest from Enterprise no matter how much they disguised him. And a whole season based on the fact Teyla got knocked up really wasn't appealing. Sam was more window dressing than anything. I think she spend her time sharpening pencils in her office. Woolsley was eventually developed fairly well.

I think their biggest mistake was in the handling and development of characters. Ford? Hello? Jewel State morphing from wraith creature into wimpy doctor replacement? Rodney as tactical field commander? Torri Higgins and McGuigan dumped and then repeatedly brought back?

One thing I read is that Babylon 5 had a plan and largely stuck to it to the end. Seemed like SGA was the victim of meetings with people that always wanted to change things. Now, no one really knows how much pressure actors were putting on them after 3 seasons and I expect a few were dumped due to greedy agents. I sort of figure their initial contracts may have covered to year 3. Then they got greedy. We'll never know.

On the whole though they're all entertaining and well worth the disc purchase. I also watched the Game last night as well. That's an ep I never really had much interest in. But a second watching revealed it to be far better than I remembered. And far better than the dogbarf that Bridge Studios is cranking out now. I'd like to forget that one even exists.

Now what was the question? Yeah, something happened going into 4. There were some good episodes but too much time spent with Ronon running around dark corridors on Wraith ships looking for the bathroom. I never could figure out why Wraith ships looked like they were made of goo but had perfect tile flooring. Now the Lexx, that was a ship.

Think I'll go vote for Season 3.

Re: Question About New Gateworld Poll - Best Season of Atlantis?

I agree that series 3 was the best for Atlantis and it took a bit of a dive in 4 but by series 5 it was on the up again.
Series 1 and 2 were always going to be good as it was a new show and still fresh.

The Lexx was brilliant and I am currently downloading all 4 seasons at the moment. That show knew how to do sexual chemistry without being tacky and tasteless like SGU.

Re: Question About New Gateworld Poll - Best Season of Atlantis?

King Piccolo
 Season 2 and 3 are my favorites, season 5 was pretty good too.

Re: Question About New Gateworld Poll - Best Season of Atlantis?

Okay.  I posed this same question over at gateworld and the one person that really answered it gave me some insight.  He basically gave season 4 points for trying.  His vote for season 4 didn’t really have much to do with Carter, and he didn’t even mention Keller (who does if they can help it  ).  He said that he liked the mix of standalone and arc driven episodes.  Mainly he liked the fact that there was “more arc based storytelling.”  He still had his complaints, but that was what he liked.  I can understand that.

If  we’re going after what they “tried” to do, then I can at least see why the people at gateworld are voting for season 4, and to a lesser extent, but I understand all the same, season 5 as well.  But - I’m still not sold on the idea that the gateworld poll is representative of all fans.  And it also has to do with how you ask the question as to what answer you’re going to get.

I’ll use myself as a case in point.  When I voted for my favorite season, I was very torn between the first 3 seasons.  I liked them all, but my reasons for liking each season varied.  I ultimately ended up picking season 2 for one reason, and one reason alone:  It was the only season that had all of the main characters that I liked in it, and none of the ones that I didn’t like.   Talk about the writers wasting talent.  I knew when I voted for season 2 that it didn’t have the best storylines, but I voted for the cast that I wished could have been/stayed in tact.  In other words, I voted for my favorite cast.  I was fine with Ford leaving as a main, but he could have ended up being a strong recurring character.  I liked Ronon almost from the moment he was introduced.  Also, a lot of people may have been as put off as I was with the writers turning Ford into a flipped-out space addict as a way to say sayonara to the character.

Then, I decided to rate each episode (yes all 100 - it didn’t take long) from memory.  I broke them up into seasons and totaled up the points (I rated them 1-5, 5 being the best) and came up with an average score for each season.  And which season won - you may have guessed it - Season 3.  I was a little surprised at first.  I thought that it would probably end up being season 1 since that’s the foundation of the series.  Then, the more I thought about it, season 3 really did make sense as the best.  I remember when I first started watching season 3, I thought that the show was really starting to hit its stride.  And, think of all of the good episodes like Common Ground, McKay and Mrs. Miller, Sateda, Submersion, Echoes (yes it was a little goofy in spots, but I really liked it), etc.  You had good team episodes like The Return 1 & 2, Vengeance, The Ark, etc.  And, yes the replicators were back, but Progeny was a good episode.  And, there was a good bit of arc driven episodes within the mix.  The poorest episodes (IMO) were Irresistible and Irresponsible, but I could watch them again.  I wasn’t a huge fan of Misbegotten or The Game either, but again, I can still watch them.  So, my favorite season was not the season that I ended up judging as the best.  It wasn’t even second best; it came in third.  Season 1 came in second.

But, I think I know why many people aren’t voting for season 3 - Sunday.  It’s hard to think about season 3 without Carson going up in a ball of flames coming to mind.  That was hard on a lot of people, and they reeeeeally weren’t happy with it.  I wasn’t either.  However, Sunday has some of the best character interaction, and the most character interaction, in an episode for the entire series.  It’s also really our only Beckett episode.  M Gero couldn’t help that Carson had to die in that episode, so I didn’t count that against him with the writing.  I did, however, shave half a point off for the Grey’s Anatomy style departure of the beloved character.  (If you didn’t know, Grey’s Anatomy had a similar situation prior to S3 of SGA where a guy had a bomb stuck in his chest and they had to remove it.  They did.  And, the bomb squad guy was walking with it down the hallway when it exploded.  I mean, Gero practically copied it outright).  Still, Sunday got a 4.5 from me for all of the great character stuff, and the McKay/Beckett ending.

Then, there’s also the fact that after all of the campaigning, Beckett was finally brought back in season 4, so that’s a happy thought (and a victory) in comparison to the season 3 exploding doctor.  And, of course they did try to do a little more with Teyla.  He mentioned getting a "much needed dose of Teyla" in Spoils of War, not Missing.  We all know who hijacked that episode  .  I’m sure Mr. Mallozzi and his cohorts are happy about how the polling has turned out, but I still have my reservations when it comes down to the results.

Another case in point is the polling that gateworld did on who’s your favorite SGU character.  Eli won that poll.  But, when Mr. Mallozzi asked his readers who they wanted to know more about, TJ’s name came up the most.  So, if gateworld had asked who fans were interested in the most, who would have won?  Is it the person they like the most, or the person they want to know more about.  Then, there’s also the fact that there is no knowing if the people at Mr. Mallozzi's blog would have picked Eli as their overall favorite, although it's likely.  And you can't know why people are voting the way that they are voting.  So again, the answers really do depend on how the questions are being asked, in my opinion.

Wow, this was a lot of writing.  And, THANKS for the insights everybody.  Keep 'em coming if you like.
                                                      Bring Atlantis Back!!!