Reasons for Atlantis being cancelled?

PGU

Reasons for Atlantis being cancelled?

PGU
After watching some of the videos Atlantis4life provided I started to think as to why Atlantis was cancelled if it was "making a lot of money" for MGM and doing well in ratings.

Could it be that Atlantis may have been cancelled because of the stylistic difference of the shows?  It seems reasonable to suggest that this would have been an issue that TPTB would have been concerned about.  Maybe it got them thinking whether or not it made economical sense to renew a show that was going to be contrasting with SGU, a new show they were heavily investing in.  Did they feel the contrast would 'confuse' viewers and would therefore cause them to tune out?

I'm just thinking out loud here; I'm probably wrong as I don't have all the infomation about what happened and I don't pretend to know anything about television economics.

Was there ever a definite reason given for the cancellation?

Re: Reasons for Atlantis being cancelled?

if they ran Atlantis along side SGU even less people would have watched SGU as this would have emphasised how bad it really is, a bit like standing Cindarella next to the ugly sister that SGU is.
it would not make financial sense to put SGU up against a show that outclassed it in every sense and so they cut their noses off to spite their faces and ours, hoping that we would all ask the ugly sister for a date and eventually marry her.

Re: Reasons for Atlantis being cancelled?

Atlantis4Life
piginpoo wrote
if they ran Atlantis along side SGU even less people would have watched SGU as this would have emphasised how bad it really is, a bit like standing Cindarella next to the ugly sister that SGU is.
it would not make financial sense to put SGU up against a show that outclassed it in every sense and so they cut their noses off to spite their faces and ours, hoping that we would all ask the ugly sister for a date and eventually marry her.
Yep.  They were talking about that over at TVBTN at one point, too.  Collectively, we are the prince.  The glass slipper is our taste/what we are looking for in a good Sci-Fi television show.  Atlantis fit that slipper perfectly.  SGU is the old hag ugly sister who's foot doesn't fit at all, but they are trying to get us to believe that it does so we'll marry her anyway.

Go and get one of your wife's or girlfriend's high-heeled shoes and look at it.  Imagine trying to fit a loaf of bread into that shoe.  That is the kind of foot that SGU has.  It's a big, fat, ugly, smelly, fungal, sweating, loaf of bread looking foot.  Ain't nothin' gonna fix that.  They’ve been trying to spray perfume on it, with their press releases, to cover up the stench, but that ain’t workin'.  SGU frankly just  needs a different shoe, and a gullible prince with lower standards and poor eyesight to go along with marrying her.

PGU wrote
Was there ever a definite reason given for the cancellation?
The answer to your question is no.   I have read interviews from Brad Wright, Robert Cooper, and the president of Syfy.  None of them will say what really happened.  And, none of them will take the blame for the downfall of Atlantis.  I think that they took Atlantis and its success for granted.  I really believe that they thought that they didn't need it anymore, or any of the actors.  They’ve pretty much said that they thought that the fans would just go for anything so long as they stick a stargate in it.  They were wrong.

Re: Reasons for Atlantis being cancelled?

Spaceman XIII
Stupidity.

Re: Reasons for Atlantis being cancelled?

I believe there are several possible reasons for the cancellation of SGA..

1) It would cause lower ratings for SGU.
2) They did not want to pay the cast and crew their seasonal raise.
3) It was becoming to much like SG1 (similar story lines i.e. replicators)
4) Consistently switching out main characters, the last 2 seasons. (Weir to Carter, Carter to Wosley (sp) - as well as Beckett to Blond Dr. whose name escapes me at the moment)

etc, etc...

A lot of different possibilities, however I doubt we will ever know the true reason.

p.s. What does (i.e.) stand for? I picked it up in school, teachers used for examples, but what does it actually stand for? Why not use (ex.)?

Re: Reasons for Atlantis being cancelled?

US06154
heh heh.  i.e., abbreviation for Latin id est, meaning "that is; in other words, "In Example"

Re: Reasons for Atlantis being cancelled?

Re: Reasons for Atlantis being cancelled?

Re: Reasons for Atlantis being cancelled?

Spaceman XIII wrote
Stupidity.
I think that's the most concise answer any of us can come up with, and probably the most accurate.

SGU_Sucks_Webmaster wrote
I believe there are several possible reasons for the cancellation of SGA..

1) It would cause lower ratings for SGU.
2) They did not want to pay the cast and crew their seasonal raise.
3) It was becoming to much like SG1 (similar story lines i.e. replicators)
4) Consistently switching out main characters, the last 2 seasons. (Weir to Carter, Carter to Wosley (sp) - as well as Beckett to Blond Dr. whose name escapes me at the moment)

etc, etc...

A lot of different possibilities, however I doubt we will ever know the true reason.
LOL.  I hadn't watched enough of SG-1 to be tired of the replicators when they were introduced in season 3.  But, by season 5, it was getting kind of tiresome.  They needed new writing blood.  One could argue that the old writing staff is the main thing that's killing the new show.  But, that's just the beginning.  I think that management in general needed a complete overhaul, or at least some shaping up, for things to get better.  SGU proves that having a new show doesn't fix the old problems.

Good points, though.
                                                      Bring Atlantis Back!!!