SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

US06154
This is bugging me like a bad hemorrhoidal itch.  Decided to drop in a comment at Gayteworld to remind those turds I'm gone but not dead.

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Demerzel
I would tend to agree with you.  When Perry came on board and it was said that she was the absolute best, I thought "Wait a minute.  Didn't Carter help build the 304's, including the hyperdrive technology?  Sure, it's Adrian Conrad that did the final tweaks to the original engine, and the Asgard gave the inter-stellar drives they use today, but...who is that person who supposedly did more than all of those combined?"

And let's face it, O'Neil and Teal'c alone were better soldiers than the whole military group currently on Destiny.  Young has a very interesting character and personality, but he's a bad leader, makes bad calls when it comes to strategy (Young really should pick up Von Clausewitz's On War, it would help a lot).

But bringing SGA characters is just...  Most of the actors on the show, or at least those we really care about, have expressed their dislike for SGU.  Like someone else said in another thread, they're coming back either because they're nostalgic and are jumping at the chance of being in the Stargate universe one more time, or for a big nice paycheck since some of those actors had very little work since SGA.  Not entirely sure the movies will ever get green lit, soooo.  Meh, who knows.  I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Sheppard could teach Young a thing or two about doing what is necessary.  Miller's Crossing comes to mind here.  And Sheppard was a much better leader, warrior and overall person, while still having his dark side.  It's what SGU is lacking.  People we like and respect.

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Demerzel
Pretty much, Overmind.  Shanks was WAY underused and they sent him to do spy work?  Where's the Air Force Special Forces, or Intelligence?  They send a civilian archeologist to spy on an highly dangerous galactic criminal organization?  Yeaaaaaaaaah.  O'Neil was alright I suppose.  Carter was very underused.

It always annoyed me that they never mentioned Atlantis.  Some of their most qualified inter-galactic explorers and scientists are kind of without a job now, and what...they get ignored?  Meh.

Gaaah! this guy Altera is daft!

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Demerzel
If they had been used right, the Lucian Alliance could have been a formidable threat.  I'm a huge Knepper fan, so I really hope his presence, coupled with the other couple veterans on the show, can help a little.

But some of the storylines in S1 were too pushed and felt rushed, and sometimes I wondered if the writers had ANY idea of how the military works, or if they knew anything about military strategy.

To be honest, I am kind of worried that if SGU gets canceled, it'll be it for Stargate.  With no real sci-fi show on the air until Ron Moore reveals his new Battlestar spinoff, well where am I supposed to get my sci-fi fix?

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Aragon101
You read Asimov, if you're jonesing for good SG-1 or SG-A style action, you could touch into fanfiction. you could even get into something catered TO your own personal tastes. The issue is getting through all the dreck but that's what recommendations are for :D

If you like drama, there's plenty of stupendous dramatic fics out there that do a justice to teh characters taht TPTB WISH they could have done in their dreams. A great sci-fi/drama story taht's Sam/Teal'c centric is "The Way" by SBZ. about 10 books worth of story (Some 700k words)

If you like tech, there's god knows how many techy fics out there. One of the most popular at the moment is "Return of the Ancients" though i personally think it warps teh characters and borrows waaay too much frmo Star Wars. IF characters aren't the most important thing, you may want to give it a look.

In fact, the only thing i think there isn't enough of are fun team oriented fics taht try and mimic the show but improve upon teh characters, situations, and even continuity. You could check out my own "Dark Frontier" series which seeks to do just that and is IMO, an alternative to SGU given that it tries to balance out the best of all three shows :)

And i'm waiting for the full season 1 to air of V before watching. I detest waiting week after week. I watch it all in 1-2 days and get teh FULL picture :D whuahahaha!
Generals don't win wars, the troops do.

Just like sycophants don't give a show it's rating, the masses do.

And the masses have spoken, SGU is poo.

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Demerzel
Overmind - I suppose you do have good points.  SGU is completely different, in every way.  And while BSG had its flaws, it remains my favorite sci-fi show ever, a notch above Firefly and SGA.  I cared about the characters a lot, the series made me smile, cheer, yell, and cry.  I know not everyone loved it so much, but I know I did.  In the end it's a matter of personal taste.  I actually hated Caprica and won't be watching it anymore when it returns.  That's not sci-fi to me.  But once I can get my hands on the whole season one of V, I shall watch it.  Dr. Who, I did not like.  Simply not my cup of tea.  And alas, being Canadian, no Hulu for me.  When I was in the army, I had a buddy who had a good reliable proxy site but now I am pretty much unable to find one.

Aragon - You have some good ideas, but.  I have chronic migraines and reading text on a computer for too long is a good way to have liquid brain stuff dripping from my ears, so. :P  That's why I read real books.  But if I do find some decent fanfic and stuff (I am -heavily- into technical sci-fi, being a huge theoretical physics fan), I could just print it.  So if you have links to what you mentioned, I would greatly appreciate it. =)

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Aragon101
Return of the Ancients if VERY technical, but it goes into 'fantasy' physics by the mid-season as well as alot of Star Wars style explanations. Such as the lack of relativity in the ROTA universe (which is very very clearly stated) and many allurions to the "force" and other such SW style tropes.

It's a big story, it's a continuation of SGA and combines just abotu every loose thread from SG1 and SGA into a coherent story. (The author also hates SGU) The characters are very different though. I often compared the story to a steak without any sauce or marinade. While teh 'meat' is there, the flavoring that gives it that extra oomph and awesome just isn't.

http://www.fanfiction.net/community/Stargate_Return_of_the_Ancients/68490/

Here's the community link, as i've said, don't expect great character stuff (except Teal'c :D That was badass) but the technical details are amazing. I cannot emphasize that enough as it's what killed the story for me (the characters). If you like it and review, tell him I sent you :p It should blow his mind because we've had huge discussions (I.E. arguments since he wanted my opinion and then was pissed when i didn't like it) over the story

My own series is kinda like a mix of SG-1, SGA and SGU. So that's action/sci-fi/adventure/drama but in a balanced proportion. Here's my community. Warning though, it's much much longer and quite esoteric with rare pairings and such. Some harder sci-fi in it though such as Silicon Based space faring life :D

http://www.fanfiction.net/community/Stargate_Atlantis_Universal_Sin_Dark_Frontier/73040/

Hmmm another techy fic... That's a toughy. Most go WAAY too far without a care for pacing or story. I'll keep an eye open for you :D
Generals don't win wars, the troops do.

Just like sycophants don't give a show it's rating, the masses do.

And the masses have spoken, SGU is poo.

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

The LA was only in SG1 for six episodes and there trying to stretch their lameness over a season!? LOL!
I would think Carter and McKay could easily control this ship. Carter and Daniel cracked the Stargate, McKay cracked Atlantis, what has Rush done?!?

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Aragon101
Nearly fuck a paraplegic in a lesbian's body?

Yeah, Stargate has really gotten mature and intelligent.
Generals don't win wars, the troops do.

Just like sycophants don't give a show it's rating, the masses do.

And the masses have spoken, SGU is poo.

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Aragon101
Overmind One wrote
I liked BSG too! I watched the entire season 1, fell in love with the characters, and then part of season 2...then they went soapy on me and I started to not like it. By the last few episodes of season 2, it was fully lathered up and I half expected the theme song from Young and Restless to be playing in the background. Gratuitous sex scenes, soapy drama. Meh. The last two seasons....OMG.

www.thepiratebay.org + Vuze (http://www.vuze.com/), thats the ticket

Aragon writes FANTASTIC fanfic stuff. He is awesome. When the new forums come online, I am sure he will post his publicity stuff for those who want to get his stuff.
Awww  bro hug!

I WOULD actually like to see an "Alternatives to SGU" section. It'd definitely build up teh site as more than just an Anti-SGU site which it already is, but more publicity never hurt ;)

And on BSG, i actually preferred the story from miniseries to Exodus Part 2. Don't get me wrong, i loved Season 3 and 4, (especially Gaeta's story ending with the Mutiny) but at the same time it just didn't feel right to me.

It's just that he escape from new caprica is pretty much the highest point of the entire series, you see the Colonials fighting tooth and nail and struggling against damn near impossible odds and having to pull out EVERY LAST DIRTY TRICK and even having to invent new ones in order to stand a chance. THAT"S what i loved about BSG. The humans won out of determination and sheer ingenuity and stone cold balls. Every victory was HARD WON and bittersweet. Mixed with great characters and deep stories, BSG is about as close to a perfect dramatic series for me as possible.

That doesn't mean i don't love the lighter stuff. TNG is still my absolute favorite sci-fi show ever :D

On topic, i pwned Kek on GW on this very subject :D

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/76016-Any-thoughts-on-The-SGA-SGU-crossover?p=11728424&viewfull=1#post11728424

I too hated the fact the city of Atlantis was/is ignored!  WHY oh WHY didn't they explore the city more? I also agree that the asgard core could easily create a few dozen ZPMs.

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Demerzel
It's kind of ironic.

I came on those forums to rant about GW, and yet I already found people with the same tastes as I, so much nicer than anyone I have met on GW in my few years on there.  I think I'll be spending a lot more time here than I ever did on Gateworld.

Aragon - But yeah, I'll be looking up what you linked, along with your own stuff.  My girl is leaving on a trip for a month tomorrow, so I'll have a lot of free time to read and chat here.

Overmind - I so agree.  The end of S2 made me go o.O , but S3 and S4 were both amazing.  Crossroads Part 2 is one of my favorites, and I am one of the few that actually loved the final episodes.  I admit that what happens to Lee was heartbreaking, I never understood why Adama did what he did in the end.  He could have stayed.  But that's a completely different topic! :)

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Demerzel
Rac80 wrote
I too hated the fact the city of Atlantis was/is ignored!  WHY oh WHY didn't they explore the city more? I also agree that the asgard core could easily create a few dozen ZPMs.
Yeah.  They used Atlantis to find Merlin's weapon in SG-1, so why not dig in its database to find information about Destiny?  I'm alright with not knowing why Destiny is so important yet, I guess there has to be a good reason and its been told that they would tell us about it in S2.  We can only hope, but that alone won't be SGU's saving grace.  And I believe that while the Asgard core is very powerful, if they could have created ZPMs with it, they already would have.  Creating stuff like replicators is one thing.  Artificially creating a region of sub-space in a bottle is something else, that the technology probably couldn't handle.  Otherwise in SG-1's finale, they could have created a bunch of ZPMs, hooked em up to the ship for OMGuber shields, and taken the Ori ship's blast head on with no problem.  So somehow, there probably is a limit to what the matter converter can create.

Re: SGA Cast Members Crossover to SGU

Gannon
The episode is going to be called Seizure. I can think of a few possible scenarios what that episode may be about. The all involve the damn stones unless they manage to find a THIRD "rare" planet to actually gate the SGA . They would probably need a yet FOURTH "rare" planet found within the same episode to get the SGA back to Earth since those planets seem to be a one way deal.

1) McKay and Zelenka stone in to help Eli and Rush finally seize control of the ship. Most likely scenario.
2)Some sort of military seizure and the stone in Sheppard and Lorne to give Young extra military expertise. Unlikely since TPTB hate Joe Flan.
3) The episode is actually about some parasite or bug causing medical seizures among the crew of the Destiny and they bring in Keller and Carson to help TJ cure the sick.
4) A variation of any the above except one of the two cameos is Woolsey who is brought to bullshit IOA stuff with Wray while the other character helps solve the problem.

There is next to ZERO chance of Ronan and Teyla. They wouldn't make sense plotwise to SGU but with that said that very little makes sense regarding SGU's wrting so who knows.  Regardless of who makes the cameo, I'm not terribly excited about seeing SGA characters on SGU. The characters will likely be re-written to be "more flawed" to fit in with SGu's "grittiness" (or should I say shittiness). The show is still likely to be the same yawn inducing drivel we have come to expect from SGU.
12