SGU original idea?

Canceltheturkey
This sounds awfully familiar. http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=2060

The successor to Babylon 5 was a one series show called Crusade. If I remember it was a good show, Gary Coleman was great as the captain but it was wrecked by constant studio and TNT friction which eventually killed it.

Here a bit of the text:

"My brother was at (name of mammoth broadcasting entity deleted by Glen) and bagged a memo saying the network is trying to force Crusade [read Universe] to be a mindless sex-and-violence program.

Among the stuff they're demanding: to lose all references to the B5 universe [Stargate/Stargate Atlantis] because they think it'll confuse viewers…that episodes should often have aliens beaming into the ship and getting in "wild west" kinds of fist-fights, taking any excuse at all to have these fights, whether they make sense or not...that there should be "horny aliens" getting onto the ship and screwing the human characters...that there should be more technobabble that will make the ship sound more advanced.

He says they also want to have at least one regular series character be a "sexual explorer," [figure it out yet?] whose job is to have sex with every alien race they meet to better understand them...they want a virtual brothel / holodeck...they want to set up the universe so that the entire human race off Earth when the Drakh plague is released start copulating like mad (religiously, kind of like a cult) to repopulate the human race, so they can constantly have people having sex round the clock.

He also told me they want to change to the Star Trek style close-fitting uniforms rather than real military uniforms to show off everyone's body. [LOL McJuggs]

Nothing has been set yet though, so if you run this and folks have an opinion on this, they may want to let it be known on the TNT site (follow the BabCom links) before it gets locked down."

Now ain't that something?

BTW when BB5 was winding down they also got a few movies out the door. Long before DVDs. That's what happens when you make the mistake of prematurely canceling a show that has a large dedicated fan following.

Re: SGU original idea?

Mitchelluva
hmm, maybe they'll get a crusade sucks.com and we'll affiliate with them

Re: SGU original idea?

Deity
Someone made this show, it's called Spartacus :)

Re: SGU original idea?

If you mean Spartacus Blood and Sand I can confirm that that is a brilliant show with plenty of blood and guts along with a good dose of nudity in to the bargain

Re: SGU original idea?

Canceltheturkey
But remember that in those times that's all people did. They didn't have TV shows to complain about.

Remember the various sci-fy themes. "Oooohh fluid interchange." And the Orgasmatron. Science Fiction was never deemed to be a perpetual episode of Flesh Gordon. Except the Fifth Element.