SyFy chief an ignorant fuck

stonelesscutter
The following bold text is copied from this link:
http://www.multichannel.com/article/440100-Syfy_s_Dave_Howe_SGU_Rides_a_Learning_Curve.php

Syfy's Dave Howe: SGU Rides a Learning Curve
Network Chief's Recent Remarks on Newly Renewed Stargate Universe, Sanctuary
by Kent Gibbons -- Multichannel News, 12/14/2009 1:20:34 PM

An ignorant fuck

Syfy president Dave Howe spoke with Multichannel News in mid-November and was asked about Stargate Universe and Sanctuary, the Friday-night series that at that point had not yet been renewed. Today, Syfy said it ordered a second season of SGU and a third season of Sanctuary, a pair of 20-episode orders.

Web site TV By The Numbers says SGU premieres are averaging 2.6 million viewers when 7 days of DVR viewing are added in, about a 600,000 viewer bump over the live plus same day numbers. The same site says Sanctuary averages 2.2 million viewers, as both were among the 10 shows in 2009 that gained the most audience on DVR as a percentage of their total viewing.

MCN asked Howe about SGU co-creators Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper's response to some fan criticism of SGU, a show Syfy wanted to attract a younger audience that previous shows Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis had done. Wright, in particular, had a well-publicized dust-up with Chicago Tribune critic Maureen Ryan over a reference she had made to SGU.

Howe in mid-November: "I think it's a learning curve for all of us, actually. They ambitiously set themselves, which we obviously pushed them to and supported, they set themselves the challenge of reinventing and reimagining the franchise, and I think Brad and Robert have done an amazing job doing that. They are writing characters and storylines which are much more challenging than the previous franchises. I think it's an interesting exercise for them and for us. Because I think Brad and Robert are surprised by some of the feedback that they've gotten, and they've tried to engage the press in a way that's not something they've approached in the past, and maybe they've ruffled a few feathers in that. Part of the exercise is how do they listen to what the fans are saying and what the critics are saying and respond in kind of a constructive way."

How about the ratings? Howe: "What's interesting about the launch of Universe: when we launched Atlantis [in 2004], it was in the good old world of no C3 or L7 numbers. Episode 2, as you saw probably, went up dramatically in terms of the ratings and then we saw a couple of dips. But when we add it back in, actually, the live 7 ratings for week 4, week five, it actually went up from week to week. So it's been pretty stable."

How does Howe like the show? "I think there are some very compelling characters in there. The ensemble cast is amazing. It's much richer, much younger, much grittier, much more-real world than the previous iterations. But a show like this is something that will develop over time. If and when it comes back for season 2, I think it will continue to sharpen its teeth and continue to really hit it out of the ballpark."

And how about Sanctuary? "I think Sanctuary is a much more mature show than it was last season. The special effects are just incredible and it's just amazing to see the dramatic growth of that whole technological technique that they're using to create the show. And I think that the quality of the story telling and the writing, as they've really gotten to know the characters and gotten to know the story arcs, et cetera, I think it's going from strength to strength, I really do."

OH MY GOD!!
Reinventing and reimagining the franchise?? Much more challenging characters and storylines???? An interesting exercise?!?!?!?!?!?
How the fuck dare you! Destroying a show that has millions of fans to have yourself an exercise. Well it's no wonder why everybody's pissed off. Approaching the press in a wrong way huh. Learning how to listen to what fans are saying and responding in kind of a constructive way. I don't think I've seen any response from them to what fans are saying let alone a kind of constructive one. They don't care about what fans are saying anyway.

About the ratings. I see Howe mentioning Atlantis but then again I don't. I mean he's not talking about Atlantis ratings is he? He appears rather confused to me talking about two seperate things and not making much sense.

How does Howe like the show? Well ofcourse he's just baffled by how amazingly good it is. (puke!!!) The ensemble (a completely superfluous word) cast is so rich and young and gritty and real and blah blah blah blah blah. (more puke) But ofcourse it will develop over time.
So actually what you're saying is that so far it's just blah but it will get better? Or are you saying that it will eventually get so damn good it will win an oscar?? Season two will continue to really hit it out of the ballpark. Well this just smells of contradiction again, just pay attention to the use of the word 'really'.

Then we have Sanctuary. Which is much more mature now than it was before. Well it's a whole season older, but does that mean more mature? Don't get me wrong, I like Sanctuary very much, a whole lot more than SGU in fact. I think Sanctuary was a mature show from the get-go. It doesn't need to get more mature, SGU on the other hand certainly does. I liked Sanctuary better in season one by the way. Howe says "it's going from strength to strength", which may be true, but when he says it it somehow sounds like more "blah blah blah" to me.

Well there you have it. This is a guy that runs a network responsible for our supposed to be favourite tv shows. Apparently nothing more than a big pile of steaming blah. This doesn't bode well for Stargate at all.

Re: SyFy chief an ignorant fuck

classicgatefan

Re: SyFy chief an ignorant fuck

Frankly these guys would blow goats out their ass to make a buck.

In discussing Atlantis numbers, did SGA have a year of promo with even the actors showing up at conventions long before it aired? I'm surprised the plug was yanked on ST Enterprise since it didn't seem to have the fanbase and critics calling it dogshit.

The Three Stooges (Coop, Wright, and Mallozzi) and this guy really live in a state of denial. There's nothing they could show me in SGU that would get me to watch again. In fact that crap's been on all day on Space according to the listings.

That reminds me it's Syfy's turn for another email. I already did Space this week.

Challenging to put up with indeed. I actually had to cut it up and remove about 40% of it just so I could feel a little bit better about it.

Re: SyFy chief an ignorant fuck

stonelesscutter
Regarding ST Enterprise, I don't understand why this had to be cancelled either. It was getting rather interesting in the 3rd season. I'm rewatching it now. Most ST shows reach 7 seasons, and then I still can't find reasons why they should be cancelled.

So you're emailing SciFi ey. How about posting them email adresses? :)