These Gateworld Moderators Are A Trip!

Atlantis4Life
I just looked at the BJS Interview page at Gateworld and saw this post from Darren at the end of the comments section:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/02/smith-on-sgu-this-is-a-transition-for-everybody/?cp=all

Darren Sumner of Gateworld wrote
"MODERATOR’S POST

Hi, folks. While we want to encourage discussion and freedom of expression at GateWorld, we also have rules. I’ve had to edit and delete many posts, and place a few people on moderation because of this thread.

The most important rule for this discussion is #3: Treat others with respect, be they other posters, actors, or the show’s producers. You can critique, criticize, and express your disappointment without resorting to personal insults. You can find a way to express yourself with tact and courtesy.

I think that our rules are rather permissive. In fact, we get hammered from the other side for allowing as much as we do. But you will follow the rules if you want to continue to be allowed to post.

We usually try to Edit inappropriate comments out of posts to save the rest of what you have to say. From this point on, however, I’m just going to use the Delete button if I have any doubts about whether a post is within the rules.

Darren Sumner | February 20 @ 11:11 am "

Is it just me, or does he sound like Mr. Mallozzi?  I'm guessing that the "other side" is MGM/Syfy/SG Producers.  This is sad.  And, weren't they just hitting the delete button before?  He's mentioning this like he just thought of it.  The criticism is fair, including the way that it is delivered.  But, they do have the right to do whatever they like with their site.  However, he might want to tell Brian J. Smith the same thing about getting interviews and/or the links to their full content posted on the Gateworld website so they don't look like hypocrites with double standards.  I mean - it was Brian that basically called people that don't like the show geeks that are jealous and hateful of the jock next door that is somehow miraculously "into" it, among other things.  That's not very respectful, don't you think, Darren?

And, I've watched Friday Night Lights (FNL), Brian; it's a good sports drama.  SGU is nothing like FNL.  BS and the rest of the producers just want it to be.

Here are a couple of good posts just in case they get "moderated":

Kelara wrote
"This show is just very confused as to it’s target audience. In my opinion, they are overshooting their own expectations with regards to viewer range and hence meeting no ones taste 100%. Cause really, who the heck do you want your viewers to be? [Heavy stereotyping ahead... be warned.]

Jocks – People who are certainly all for “character driven” (soap opera) style shows. Not. So for jocks? 90% fail right from the get go. Well… just throw in some good looking people, sex- references, gunfights, explosions and cool aliens. Wait… we are still waiting for the cool aliens… and the explosions… and, you know, regular gunfights. There mainly is shouting at each other (which, incidentally, is not the “jock way” to go about conflict, or is it?).

Geeks – the cerebral audience probably drawn to character driven shows. Only, the “character driven” got dumbed down into soap opera style who gets it on with whom. Not the kind of show you can really enjoy having a geeky discussion about. Never mention the hideous breaks in logic. They have been expounded upon enough.

Military nerds – Establish, the hell, a command structure for gods sake! The guy who should be the top dog is just flat out refusing to take on command and way more occupied whith bullying people around the spaceship and the homefront than would ever make sense in this situation. While the second in command might or might not be a horndog he sure does have little authority over the rest of the soldiers. That’s not any better from the civillian side. No one really interested in taking the there also.

old school stargate fans – Sure, just insult them as outdated *because* they are fans of either previous series. Smooth going and so endearing those people to the new show… [note sarcasm].

traditional soap opera watchers – Well, it’s on a spaceship. And this ship is pointlessly going…uh… somewhere way out there in the universe. And they… like… have the communication devices which, really enable most of the soap opera drama… only… isn’t that a bit complicated? And they have references to past shows I don’t get.

Just please decide on an audience already, it will solve major problems!

Kelara | February 20 @ 8:27 am "

Spaceman XIII wrote
"@Kelara:

They have already decided their audience:
1. Make sure everyone keep screaming thinking that is drama so the bimb0s will tune in.
2. Use the Eli character, add a few sex scenes here and there so the teenagers will tune in.
3. Add some adult drama (husband and wife cheating) so the “mature” audience will tune in.
4. Lastly, call it Stargate: something, make sure the gate spins again this time, all the geeks will tune in just because of the gate and the title.

This was their perfect plan.

Spaceman 13 | February 20 @ 10:34 am "

Uh-em.  I agree.

Re: These Gateworld Moderators Are A Trip!

Spaceman XIII
Ahh, so he's the guy who keep editing and deleting my comments, removing links to this site etc.

So he has insulted fans before? What exactly did he say? Any links?

I've saved every comment page just in case they started deleting.

If they go too far I'll simply make a Gateworld graveyard site, posting all the deleted comments there. It can be done automatically by a bot running 24/7.

Re: These Gateworld Moderators Are A Trip!

Spaceman XIII wrote
If they go too far I'll simply make a Gateworld graveyard site, posting all the deleted comments there. It can be done automatically by a bot running 24/7.

Dude, that would probably be the best thing ever.

Could it be done to mirror the whole gateworld forum and keep the deleted posts?
You know, to piss them off even more, and maybe migrate half their posters to us, so they can finally change their site-name to

REPUBLIGATE

Re: These Gateworld Moderators Are A Trip!

I don't know whether or not Darren has said anything insulting.  He's kind of a middle-man, so I'm guessing that he tries to be a boyscout on both fronts (fans and PTB), but he leans toward TPTB more for the access to interviews, copyrighted materials, etc.  I was talking about him asking everyone to be respectful, and not to post insulting things.  But then, he had posted an insulting (IMO) quote from Brian J. Smith in his coverage of the interview that BS did.  I mean, I understand him providing the link, but he could have chosen a different quote or just eluded to the one that he instead provided.  That way it wouldn't look like he was asking people not to post content similar to what he posted.  That's all.  I've said it before that I understand the line that Darren has to walk over there, but I don't like it.  I suppose he's doing the best he can given the situation.  This is another reason why SGU should just be cancelled.  I don't see where most anyone is enjoying the crappy situations that have come out of it.

However it is good that you are keeping backups.  That's a great idea, you know, just in case.  You've been making some good points.  Keep up the good work.

Re: These Gateworld Moderators Are A Trip!

Spaceman XIII
AdamTM wrote
Could it be done to mirror the whole gateworld forum and keep the deleted posts?
You know, to piss them off even more, and maybe migrate half their posters to us, so they can finally change their site-name to

REPUBLIGATE
Yup it can be done, the only factor is time.

If they get on my nerves and get me motivated, it will be made.

Atlantis4Life wrote
I don't know whether or not Darren has said anything insulting.  He's kind of a middle-man, so I'm guessing that he tries to be a boyscout on both fronts (fans and PTB), but he leans toward TPTB more for the access to interviews, copyrighted materials, etc.
I see, so at the moment he is still a non-hostile.

We'll see how things progress from here.

And thanks.

Re: These Gateworld Moderators Are A Trip!

Hehehe, Yes, Darren's quite the boyscout Hitler. He's got his trigger finger on the delete button. Bet he thinks the Delete button fires ICBM's at sgusuck.com.

Re: These Gateworld Moderators Are A Trip!

CANNOT STOPPEN PUSHING ZE BUTTONEN!!

NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!

Re: These Gateworld Moderators Are A Trip!

hawkeye is now an auto-mod word.

Re: These Gateworld Moderators Are A Trip!

Re: These Gateworld Moderators Are A Trip!

Canceltheturkey
I looked up the Wayback machine yesterday and they haven't recorded Gayteworld since 2008.

I better save that Spaceman XIII - Tanith - Siba love triangle they got going now. Hate for the moderators to can it.

I usually just drop a turd and leave. Tanith and Siba could be 12 year old Golden Retrievers for all I know. You give em a good pounding for us there Specimen.

LOL Specimen said thanks.

Re: These Gateworld Moderators Are A Trip!

Canceltheturkey
Spaceman XIII wrote
Canceltheturkey wrote
I looked up the Wayback machine yesterday and they haven't recorded Gayteworld since 2008.

I better save that Spaceman XIII - Tanith - Siba love triangle they got going now. Hate for the moderators to can it.

I usually just drop a turd and leave. Tanith and Siba could be 12 year old Golden Retrievers for all I know. You give em a good pounding for us there Specimen.
LOL Specimen said thanks.
"Specimen" refers of course to the Right Stuff where Von Braun is referring to Spaceman and mis-interpreted as Specimen.

Opps - this just in —  Tanith PWNed again at Gayteworld!

(Talk about a good pounding)

Re: These Gateworld Moderators Are A Trip!

Spaceman XIII
Canceltheturkey wrote
"Specimen" refers of course to the Right Stuff where Von Braun is referring to Spaceman and mis-interpreted as Specimen.
Oh I see, need to look that up later