Tired of Excuses?

Atlantis4Life
I don’t know about you, but I’m really tired of all the excuses the 10 people that like SGU keep repeating.  I was inspired to make a list.  Check it out and let me know what you think.  There are more excuses than what I listed, but here are the best of the lamest excuses.

Top 10 list of the best SGU-Defender Excuses:

1.  It’s “not that bad”.

2.  It’s “ok”.

3.  It’s “good enough”.

4.  It’s “not the best“, but it‘s “watchable“.

5.  So it’s not good and doesn’t make sense yet.  But are 10 episodes really enough for it to get good and/or make sense?  SGU is dealing with “realism,” and we all know that things take forever to fully and accurately “unravel” in a “complex” storyline with “real” characters.  Let’s “give it some time to get good“, like a season, or maybe two seasons, or a few...

6.  Only the über-exclusive and small club of special fans like us who “get it” can appreciate SGU for the work of art it is.  What’s that?  Oh, you actually want us to explain SGU?  Uh, well.....ummmm.....WE’RE NOT EXPLAINING ANYTHING!! YOU’RE NOT IN THE CLUB!!!!!               NOW GO AWAY!!!!

7.  Hey dudes, I don’t really “get it” either, but if I watch every episode at least 3-4 times and then fill in the plot holes with my own imagination, then....um... it kinda makes sense.  Try it, and it’ll kinda make sense to you too dudes!

8.  So it’s not SG1 or SGA, but it’s something.  Right?

9.  Deep down, It’s really a good show on the inside guys.  Can’t you see?  Can’t you see that?  There’s no proof, but it’s not SGU’s fault!  It can’t help being bad, stereotyping, and boring.  It just wasn’t held as a child in its infancy and that’s why it’s been so bad.  But there’s a good show in there somewhere guys!  And I won’t give up ‘til I find it!  Somewhere deep down inside of these God Awful scripts there is the makings of a good show.  I know it.....I just know it!  Pleeeeeease!  I need to believe!  It has to be true!

10.  Aaaaaaaaaah! (Shaking and Twitching) Like B-Brad Wright said, I needs my Stargate “FIX” and this show says it’s “Stargate” so I’m not gonna turn it down.  I’m watchin’ it!  (Sweating and Scratching, Eyes Darting Around)  And if all yous SGU bashers was real Stargate fans, you’d watch it too!  We should all be grateful that there’s a “Stargate” show on the air to help us get rid uh tha shakes!  I’m j-jonesin’ b-bad man.  (Breathing Heavy, Licking Lips) I really n-needs to go watch “Light” again.

Bonus Excuse:  Monk did it!

Re: Tired of Excuses?

alien0-2

Re: Tired of Excuses?

Atlantis4Life
Thanks for the link alien0.  That article had my eyes popping out.

"We're taking a shot at doing something that we hope is going to be a breakout hit," Cooper said, "not something that is a marginal success within the sci-fi world."

SGU is not even a marginal success with sci-fi fans.  And it doesn't look like it cost much more money either.

"voyeuristic pleasure"

That doesn't even sound right.

And they shouldn't try "creating a situation where magic can happen."

SG1/SGA had tons of magic when they weren't trying

Re: Tired of Excuses?

GetMallozziFired
This author removed his/her Nabble account.

Re: Tired of Excuses?

GetMallozziFired
This author removed his/her Nabble account.

Re: Tired of Excuses?

Will
The attitude of the BW and JM has been pretty shocking in my opinion. Some of JM's comments came across as if he is saying "hey, all you idiot fans that enjoyed that unrealistic crap we wrote in SG1/SGA, well, THE JOKE'S ON YOU! You are gonna be soooooooooooo disappointed with SGU, isn't it funny HAR HAR HAR". They have turned around and insulted the fans that have followed and praised their show for 15 years, acting as if we are somehow juvenile and tasteless for enjoying the shows that got them where they are today. Meanwhile both of them show complete arrogance by hurling insults whenever SGU is criticised.

Check out the video praising SG1 fans that they made back in the day, which is linked to on the homepage of this site. I watched it the other day and couldn't help but think how hypocritical BW sounds given their attitude now. Blah, it's disgusting really.

Re: Tired of Excuses?

alien0-2

Re: Tired of Excuses?

Atlantis4Life
Yeah, I know what you mean.  Too bad janet lead to carson which lead to hightmeyer which lead to elizabeth...doctors don't do well in stargateland.

Here's what Brad had to say the day of SGU's premiere:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/tubetalk/a180033/qa-stargate-universe-exec-brad-wright.html

You'll notice that he didn't say that Atlantis was canceled by sigh-fy.  He says he didn't do it, but....

Plus how can there be any "element of the passing of a torch" when Atlantis got torched for SGU?

Re: Tired of Excuses?

Will
Yeah, I just don't get what Cooper means by this whole 'magic' business. SG1 was one of the most magical sci-fi shows ever written, as that video shows. And the SG1 actors really were great people who clearly loved what they were doing, not just because they enjoyed acting, but because of the joy they brought to their fanbase. You can't fake the kind of emotion we saw in Amanda Tapping's eyes when that fan told her she made her a better person.

I actually posted a link to that video on gateworld in the thread about Justice's dismal ratings, and one guy replied saying it brought him to tears when he watched it. Gateworld have removed the link now though.

You pointed out perfectly there exactly where SGU falls short, even as a drama. Dramas only work if you care about the characters. Right now SGU hasn't given us a single reason to care about any of the characters, and plenty of reasons to hate them all.

Re: Tired of Excuses?

GetMallozziFired
This author removed his/her Nabble account.

Re: Tired of Excuses?

Atlantis4Life
Great link GetMallozzifired.

I totally have to pay homage to that guy.  That theatre was cool.  And the door that slides open like on Atlantis.  Really Cool.
                                                      Bring Atlantis Back!!!