Update

SGU*S Webmaster

Re: Update

SerenityS
Got this message when I clicked on the site:

It works!
This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

So maybe things are looking up!

Re: Update

Vanb
Well, it does look as if something is going on.  The homepage has changed.  That means that it's being worked on at least.  That has got to be good, right?  Here's hoping.

Re: Update

Sutekh
Does anyone know if the guy is ok at least?
Dropping out inconveniences us sure, but the guys status has to take a front seat to our own interests.

Re: Update

 Dunno what you guys are talking about.. Unless I clicked right at the time the server went down for a re-boot none of the sites including our forums, Kobehq, scifiovermind, are responding. If some of you guys saw a different homepage, that would mean one of 2 things. Either his entire server died, or his main storage array died. In either case he would need to install the OS first, and then put Apache, MySQL, PHP and PERL on. Once all that junk is in place, he can run the restores of data back in (and do the fine tuning of the software). For some reason or the other, I was under the impression he was running VMware, but doesn't seem that way. VMWare allows you to mount the server image on to any compatible hardware, within a matter of minutes. But I digress, if only we had word of the guy being okay, would be great!

Re: Update

SGU*S Webmaster wrote
Ok will since Overmind has dropped off the face of the earth I have been doing some research on servers and other such stuff. Firstly Vbullien cost 2-300 dollars which i dont have to spend. second I am having trouble finding servers so if anyone knows of some cheap options please let me know.
I googled for a free alternative for the vbulletin forum and I found this site with a poll and different free forums names:

http://forums.techarena.in/polls-voting/1274167.htm

Simplemachines won that poll (but not many people voted).

http://www.simplemachines.org/

But on another forum people were also speaking positive about simplemachines. I have no experiences myself about making homepages and forums, but perhaps one of the forums mentioned in the poll is a good alternative.

BTW I posted updated ratings overviews in the ratings thread in the nabble forum.

PSW (the user name I used on the vbulletin forum)

Re: Update

Vanb
Sutekh wrote
Does anyone know if the guy is ok at least?
Dropping out inconveniences us sure, but the guys status has to take a front seat to our own interests.
Yeah, not to pull you off your horse or anything, but most of us have been inquiring about and getting updates on Overmind's status on the other thread ("Issues with the New Forum").  The bottom line is that we don't know anything yet.  There seem to be only a small handful, if that, of people who even remotely know how to contact him, and as far as we can tell they haven't heard anything yet.

USO6154 wrote
Dunno what you guys are talking about.. Unless I clicked right at the time the server went down for a re-boot none of the sites including our forums, Kobehq, scifiovermind, are responding.
Here's a screen shot of what I'm seeing when I go to the main site:
SGU-S default screen capture

I don't know if that is some sort of place holder or what.  It doesn't appear to have any type of functionality other than that.

Re: Update

Maybe he's on a bus to the G20.

I'm getting the regular page now but I've seen the other above load a few times. It has a counter showing a hundred hits. My guess is he's doing a massive re-organization. But what do I know.

Re: Update

SGU*S Webmaster

Re: Update

Maybe he was abducted by the fish aliens

Re: Update

Vanb
Oh, I see.  I got excited for a minute there.

Re: Update

Vanb
piginpoo wrote
Maybe he was abducted by the fish aliens
Stop scaring me!

Re: Update

Phasevariance
Which were you looking at, vbbulletin classic or suite?

Re: Update

I clicked on the link to our Forums (not this one, the other one) and looks like some work is being done over there. He's got LAMP (Linux - I think Ubuntu 9.10, Apache, MySQL, PHP) up and running. Now he only has to restore the data, and we're back in business!!

Re: Update

Canceltheturkey
Like I figured — this was just a test for the faithful.

Re: Update

dont get your hopes up just yet! The maintenance notice was up for a week before everything died

Re: Update

Insomnium
What i see:

"Welcome to your website!
This is the default index page of your website.

This file may be deleted or overwritten without any difficulty. This is produced by the file index.html in the web directory.

For questions or problems please contact support."

Re: Update

Canceltheturkey
What you are seeing is a slug provided by a pre-coded template. Once the back end is working properly he will overwrite the file and let us all back in.

Re: Update

Insomnium
piginpoo wrote
the fish aliens
Guess lots of people liked my "walking catfish" riff in the caption gallery, huh?
12