What about those 30,000 posts

123456 ... 14

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

j.Vinsett
She will take the case pro bono for the fact that it is experience simply.  It all depends on what the posters here desire. The problem is that by approviing transfer  sgusucks violated their "implied license".  Also as I said before a stargate fansite most likely isn't worth the effort.  All I need to know is if the posters here are interested.

The other stuff in this post is not relevant betwen he/she said or did between the webmasters.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

Rac80
J. Vinsett wrote
She will take the case pro bono for the fact that it is experience simply.  It all depends on what the posters here desire. The problem is that by approviing transfer  sgusucks violated their "implied license".  Also as I said before a stargate fansite most likely isn't worth the effort.  All I need to know is if the posters here are interested.

The other stuff in this post is not relevant betwen he/she said or did between the webmasters.

can't speak for anyone else here, but don't bother on my behalf.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

Overmind Two
[quote]****Skylar or not there is no authorization from the content authors of those posts to be moved. There was nothing in the Sgusucks.Com Terms and Conditions that specifically transferred ownership from the posters to the site. I forwarded the responses taken and the vbulletin sign up page to a lawyer friend in Valley Village, CA. She is prepared to issue DMCA takedown notice  to both sgusucks and gatefans pro bono to set a prescendent over content ownership  on behalf of the content creators if they so desire. If this Skylar person did in fact do such a move as approve moving content  then he/she is also guilty over copyright violation. Hence why sgusucks.com would  also receive a DMCA takedown notice as well.

I didn't think Stargate fansites are worth all that but, that is up to the posters. Would you be willing for takedown notices to be issued to both sites?  I am a longtime lurker on this board and this is just madness and stupidity on both sides****[/quote]

I just read something over there at GF where OM is saying that he can sue for hosting costs and tech support because there was no formal agreement that said he was giving away those services. If he is right, then he can easily sue SGUS or its owner for those costs, plus court costs and possibly more. As far as I know, a DCMA only orders removal of copyrighted material from a website. It cant shut anything down, and it does not involve any money being paid to anybody. But a lawsuit for hosting costs and all that other stuff might be devastating to the owner of SGUS. It seems like this is a stupid move to go that route. I have seen this sort of thing before and if you try this it could backfire in a very big way. Lets just start SGUS back up and leave it alone. Its not worth the risk imo.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

Willl
J. Vinsett wrote
She will take the case pro bono for the fact that it is experience simply.  It all depends on what the posters here desire. The problem is that by approviing transfer  sgusucks violated their "implied license".  Also as I said before a stargate fansite most likely isn't worth the effort.  All I need to know is if the posters here are interested.
While I believe your analysis of the legalities of all this is correct, I really don't think that what you are proposing would be particularly constructive... for anybody.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

Just the usual bullyboy scare tactics imo

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

SerenityS
I personally have no problem with  my posts being at both sites. Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

Yeah, he could Sue, if he could produce a contract where SGUSucks entered into a contract with overlord Hosting. He also has to produce unpaid invoices going back last couple of years. This is like saying, Im gonna sue the carpool members, for Gas, mileage and wear and tear.

He has to prove that It was a business contract. Hard to prove it was a business contract when that idiot's comments prove to be the bulk of the content, and he was enjoying himself bashing other websites, slandering people, and making a monkey of himself.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

And he also posted several times that he donated all of the hosting etc for free so he would get laughed out of court if it even got that far

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

STCLARE
Id rather you didnt on my account. I post at both sites and like and respect the people here and there. I wouldnt support this action, and I would not like to see the webmaster sued even if there was no chance of success.
Posting on here is supposed to be fun, this wont help.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

US06154
But he had no problems accusing me of ratting him out for a $200 vBulleting license. and this was done in public. He also went on to say that SGUSucks forum was brought down because of me, conveniently forgetting that the content was stolen and posted on an unlicensed forum/software, before this event.

We probably cannot come to a full consensus or support of everyone on this, After all, he didn't ask everyone over here if he could have his own copy now, did he? we may even lose a few members here and there over this.. Oh well, can't win them all..

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

Overmind Two
Doesnt the fact that the site was hosted on the servers prove that the services were used? I think it does. If you were moved into an apartment and the landlord could prove you have lived there for a year, with or without a lease agreement or a rental contract, that person would be liable for all the time they were living there, plus any use of utilities and any wear and tear on the apartment. OM saying he donated space or anything like that is still not a formal donation between him and the webmaster of SGUS. The only thing that can be proven beyond a doubt is the fact that the site was on his servers for almost two years. And when he posted on the SGUS forums, the license was valid for the site. This is an unwise move to me. OM is very smart and I think he is already prepared for any retaliation. I think we should just stop warring with them and start up a new site or do whatever we are going to do. I like his site and will probably join there. People here seem to be so vindictive.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

more scare tactics

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

Overmind Two
You are wrong about that. He wouldnt get laughed out of court, we would. If you tried to use a post on a forum to substitute for a formal contract or statement of him donating the services, and it was not validated by both parties publicly or privately, then it is as useful as you writing a note on toilet paper or saying you had a verbal agreement. You cant prove anything with a post or even 100 posts. But he can prove from using his server logs that SGUS was on his servers for almost 2 years. Even the website monitoring services on the web have records of that.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

whatever

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

j.Vinsett
Yes more than likely all that will occur is a takedown notice to the site hosts  until such time as the content  is removed. It isn't likely any kind of monetary awards thing happening. I'll ask Ann about the hosting situation if you would like. I haven't seen a contract but, that would be between webmasters if there is one and to what extent that threat can be carried out would be specified with the conditions of the contract.

I'm just a lurker and fan of the two former stargates. I asked Ann due to being curious about the status of forum posts but, a Stargate fansite to me isn't worthy of all this attention. Perhaps if it was a site where works of art were stored (Poetry, Music, etc.) it might be worth the effort from the point of the posters. Also Stargate is going on hiatus for who knows how long so the fanbase for that will dry up a great deal with nothing new to discuss in a year or two.  I see nearly all the stargate fansites eventually just drying up and going away.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

Willl
This discussion is getting beyond ridiculous. Who exactly is advocating legal action here except for a random user nobody ever heard of before who only just registered?

Whatever the legal rights and wrongs of what happened, anyone who would actually take real life legal action over a spat between two hobby fansites has serious issues. Nobody wins in such situations.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

Overmind Two
Banned User
I used to lurk at SGUS forums, but I posted here because I have seen this sort of thing before and I dont want you guys to make a huge mistake that could cost the owner of SGUS money and cause legal problems. Everything I have seen clearly shows that SGUS is in the lessor position and would be liable for monetary compensation to OM1. Some of the people here are making unwise suggestions and advocating half-assed copyright demands. Im pointing out that this will most likely backfire and could really mess things up for some people that I like here. Dismiss it if you like, but dont say later that you werent advised against this stuff. I think somebody should check with a lawyer to see if what OM1 says is valid. Everything I know shows he is right.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

STCLARE
Who the hell is CRStar? Im sorry i dont seem to have any mod abilitys on this forum and cant delete there posts. Seriousley can someone block there ip or something?

ok i cant to hell who is on the board so have emailed A4L to let them know whats going on.
Sorry i cant do more.

Re: What about those 30,000 posts

Willl
Watcher wrote
I used to lurk at SGUS forums, but I posted here because I have seen this sort of thing before and I dont want you guys to make a huge mistake that could cost the owner of SGUS money and cause legal problems. Everything I have seen clearly shows that SGUS is in the lessor position and would be liable for monetary compensation to OM1. Some of the people here are making unwise suggestions and advocating half-assed copyright demands. Im pointing out that this will most likely backfire and could really mess things up for some people that I like here. Dismiss it if you like, but dont say later that you werent advised against this stuff. I think somebody should check with a lawyer to see if what OM1 says is valid. Everything I know shows he is right.
As I said, the only person advocating "half-assed copyright demands" is some user who only just registered specifically to advocate that suggestion. I don't think anybody needs to check anything "with a lawyer". This is stupid.
123456 ... 14