What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

classicgatefan

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

classicgatefan

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

Canceltheturkey
Uh yeah, didn't want to get into hours of writing.

Put me down as a big BB5er. Too bad there wasn't more of Zathras. Jerry Doyle was quite a bad boy, eh? Look him up in wiki - still is. I liked Sinclair as Commander but I got used to Sheridan. And the CGI was cutting edge for it's time.

Really never cared much for DS9 or Veeger. Except for the Jeri Ryan scenes. Oddly I liked Enterprise except for whenever T'Pol was moping around with nothing to do putting on her mud-face.

Have been watching X-Files. But I find I can watch the SG/SGA episodes over and over and don't tire of them. You probably need a year between X-Files views unless it one of the complex story lines.

A lot comes down to characters. Robert Picardo used to drive me up the wall in Veeger but I think he did OK in SGA. The only person that looked promising in SGU is Everett Young/Louis Ferreira. Everyone else I'd deep space them. I only watch NCIS on broadcast right now but I can't stand NCIS LA. Again it's the role characters play. It comes down to, why should I spend a season watching people I'd go out of my way to avoid? That's why SGU sucks so bad. There's so few characters anyone actually likes in it. And that's too bad for personalities like Lou Diamond Phillips and Robert Carlyle. It would have been a whole lot different if they got rid of the grunge look and cleaned up Rush. But don't get me wrong, nothing is going to save that steaming pile of sci-fi.

Oh forgot a real biggy — Lexx. Don't see it mentioned much. What a bizarre piece of work. Not every day you find traveling spacemen from Potatoho. So I'd say SG/SGA - BB5 - Lexx - Enterprise for me.

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

I'm split about 33.3/33.3/33.3.  I love to read fantasy/fiction books. Some of my favorites include

~Harry Potter
~Chronicles of Narnia
~Artimas Fowl (spelling)
~Series of Unfortunate Events

my all time favorite is probably the Inheritance Series. (Eragon/Eldest/Brisngr) In my opinion the best books ever written! However the movie Eragon, well it as good, as long as you hadent read the book. However, if like me you had it was a complete disaster. They left out SO MUCH, that it is impossible for them to make a sequel.

Anyway as far as TV goes, I like more realistic/Sci-Fi and Comedy shows. Stargate Atlantis was my favorite of the two. Other show I like are 24, House, I watched heroes for awhile but it came on at the same time as 24 so.... yeah. Star Trek is good, so is Family Guy, The Simpsons. I got really into the first season of The secret life of the American Teenager. I have no clue why. M*A*S*H, is pretty good, and several others I cant think of right now.

The last 33.3% is Theatre. I'm a Drama Major right now, so if its not a Book or a TV show Im usually doing somthing involed with theatre. I;m not much of an actor but I enjoy tech. (Lights, Sound, etc)

So yep thats what else besides stargate I enjoy.

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

Well, I liked Star Trek TOS, DS9, TNG, and Voyager.  Although, I can't say I've seen every episode of any of them.  For some reason, I couldn't get into Enterprise.  I've also read Harry Potter; I started out reading it to my nephew and got into it... The Chronicals of Narnia were read to me as a child, and I enjoyed it.  I watched and enjoyed a little of the Outer Limits and the Twilight Zone TOS and the newer one...  I'm kind of a middle of the line Sci-Fi person.  I like the "Wow that's cool" Sci-Fi, not the "Oh, that's weird" stuff.  Don't get me wrong: If it's interesting, then weird can, and usually does, work for me.

When it comes to Sci-Fi and/or Fantasy, I'm more of a visual person, so I like to see it, as opposed to reading about it.  But, I read suspense novels, autobiographies/biographies, books on history/current events, classics, etc.  And, I have a never-ending stack of books to read.  Someone is always recommending or giving a new book to me, and then it gets added to the reading list.

I like a lot of action movies and superhero movies like the Bourne movies, X-Men, Spiderman, Transformers (the first one was better than the second one), Superman (the ones with Chris Reeve), etc.  I also like Comedies.  I watched the LOTR movies and really liked them.  Star Wars is great (especially the ones that follow Luke's journey).  I liked the Pirates of the Carribean movies... These are just things off of the top of my head.  I'm sure I'll think of other things when I'm not trying to write about them.

Oh, well, obviously I love Atlantis.  SGA is one of my favorite shows of all time, even if they trashed the last 2 seasons because they didn't give a damn.  And, for current things that I like that are on TV, I've already answered that on another thread.

@Kobe SBM

Jeri Ryan was great.  Star Trek is the best as a Sci-Fi franchise (to me), and I loved the 2009 movie.

And hey!  What about the reviews I spent 30-45 minutes thinking about and writing since you asked, man?  Did I waste my time, or what?

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

Atlantis4Life
Cool.

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

trelaine
Wow, well, the first scifi book I ever read was "I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov. I was bored one day so my dad tossed me that book. I was completely hooked. Over the years I've read a lot of stories/books but these stand out to me (only in order as I remember them):
Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Andromeda Strain - Michael Chrichton
Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov
Dune (series) - Frank Herbert
Time Patrol - Poul Andersen
House Harkonnen (and the other House books) - Brian Herbert & Kevin Anderson
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Best humor ever!

TV:
SG1 & SGA - I agree, this can be watched over & over and I always seem to catch something I missed b4 as well as just enjoy the storylines over and again. As the series developes, the characters are 3 dimensional and I love the humor and bantor between characters. It helps to relieve the tension and it displays their humanness.
Star Trek Voyager - new characters, a diverse crew & a fantastic captain who happened to be female.
DS9 - gotta love Sisko & Quark.
ST TOS - I used to watch it when it was new with my dad! First show to show competent multicultural characters. It was amazing for it's time.
ST TNG - first to return but a little preachy at times I think. Still loved the characters.
Twilight Zone - probably the best example of what true & excellent SciFi should be.
Outer Limits
Dr Who - old and new!
UFO - anyone remember that?
Space 1999
and again, last but not least, Firefly - yes there is such a thing as space cowboys.

I did not care for Enterprise and believe me, I loved Scott Bakula in Quantum Leap. I couldn't take the Angelina Jolie wannabe Vulcan and how she seemed so sculky/angry all the time. And not a very diverse crew either.

I do not include Battlestar Galactica either. The original was like a comic book for kids (yes I watched it with my young son at the time) and the new one was intriguing and intense and very exciting --- at first. Then the soap opera took over and they really lost me when Starbuck did the shimmy with Apollo on their kitchen table. Give me a break! And this is precisely what is losing me with SGU.

I don't f'ing care if the colonel's wife is messing around with someone. He is millions of lightyears away and has other more pressing matters to deal with. I want to know the characters, why they even went on the mission, who are they, how do they interact, what mysteries will they solve in the ship. They are so worried about what's happening on earth they don't seem to be very focused on their situation. And that corporate nonsense is disgusting. Where is the sense that they are completely isolated and may never get home? Oh never mind, they can leap into someone's body and be home once in a while so who cares.

Bah...

So, there are my picks.

Sorry I forgot, and how could I since I'm building up my collection up to season 6?? duh!
X-Files!

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

Atlantis4Life
It's been a while Trelaine.  It's nice to see you commenting again.

I knew there were things that I missed!  I read Brave New World too and loved it.  It was so weird, but in an interesting way.   It makes me think of 1984, and how much I liked that too.  I also watched the X-Files, and really liked it until they lost Mulder and brought Terminator 2 on (the guy that was Col. Sumner on SGA).  I watched and enjoyed Quantum Leap too.  Scott Bakula is Chuck's dad now on the Chuck show.  I also loved the Matrix movies. The first one is the best.  There's a lot to think of... I'm still sure there's more.

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

Shows:
Original Star Trek, STNG, DS9, Voyager (couldn't really get into Enterprise, surprisingly, Tupal is one of my favorites)
Ray Bradbury Trilogy
Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
X-files (I have the entire library)
SG-1/Atlantis (I have the entire Library)
Monk
V (Old and New)
Old BSG with Lorne Green (never got into New BSG, surprised starbuck was a girl)
Doctor Who (missed a few Doctors here and there, Favorites: Jon Pertwee and Eccleston)
Blake-7 (Okay by todays standards Cheesy, but at the time of airing, Wonderful)
Fringe
Bones
Firefly/ Serenity
Angel (but not Buffy)
Dollhouse (another of my Favorites)
Defying Gravity (Yes, I was mad when it went on "Hiatus")
Blood Ties, Blade, True Blood (but stopped midway season 2 when it became a joke)

Books: (I Should add that I am not able to read as much my eyesight is not that good anymore. as a five year old child I had a personal library of well over 500 books - Ranging from every conceivable children's author (mostly British), to encyclopedia's, junior science journals and almanacs, came from a family where books had more value than toys  ). Everything I have is now on Audiobook Format). My 14yr old son hates reading (takes after my wife), but my 9yr old Daughter has close to 80+ books in her library.

Isaac Asimov, Jules Verne
JKR/ Harry Potter
Salvatore/ Drizzt Do'urden Series
Terry Brooks/ Shannara Series
Jim Butcher/ Dresden Files, Codex Alera
Weis, Hickman / Dragonlance Series
Tolkien/ Hobbit, Lord of the Rings
Philip Pullman/ His Dark Materials (of Golden Compass Fame), Sally Lockhart Series
Charlaine Harris/ Southern Vampires (True Blood Series)
Frank Herbert/ Dune (Books, TVShow and Game)

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

trelaine
Thanks! I hope you can relate: I have a daughter in braces who's getting ready to drive and to go to college so I'm working 2 jobs right now (and for a while probably) but I will be getting on whenever I can.
I agree about Terminator guy. It had its merits but just not the same without Mulder.
Yes, I'm sure I will think of more as time goes on... I'm that way about movies too... so many to choose from.

On 1/23/2010 6:50 AM, Atlantis4Life [via SGU SUCKS] wrote:
It's been a while Trelaine.  It's nice to see you commenting again.

I knew there were things that I missed!  I read Brave New World too and loved it.  It was so weird, but in an interesting way.   It makes me think of 1984, and how much I liked that too.  I also watched the X-Files, and really liked it until they lost Mulder and brought Terminator 2 on (the guy that was Col. Sumner on SGA).  I also loved the Matrix movies. The first one is the best.  There's a lot to think of... I'm still sure there's more.
                                                      Bring Atlantis Back!!!

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/What-do-you-enjoy-watching-or-reading-besides-Stargate-tp4427528p4445147.html
To unsubscribe from Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?, click here.

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

Atlantis4Life
Thanks! I hope you can relate...

I don't have children of my own, but I can relate to working a lot and trying to maintain a personal life in the process.  It can take it's toll.  Make sure you remember to think about "you" while you're taking care of business and everyone else.  I fell into that trap, and it's not pretty.  It sneeks up on you, and then all of a sudden - you're feeling burned out.

I will be getting on whenever I can.

And making up for lost time!    I'm trying to keep up.  It's good to see your input.  Yep, X-Files never was quite the same without Mulder...

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

TypicalFan
Can't believe nobody has mentioned the tenth Doctor yet!  David's doctor was perhaps more dark than the others, but he always had an odd British querky humour about his acting. I'm not old enough to be familiar with the whole shibang and only got into it over the holidays, but I saw the last few episodes leading up to the Doctor's regeneration and got hooked!

star trek ToS is also one of my favorites but only because of Kirk's overacting mixed in with all the crazy alien planets.

I've read the trilogy of Lotr books, the hobbit, and started to dig into the first and second age lore but it's slow work.

I'll read just about anything well written with a good lore/history behind it(just started reading some wiki's about star wars and the sith lords), but I also thoroughly enjoy studying ancient egyption, greek, roman, and norse history.  I only really got interested in Egypt after watching stargate ofcourse, Daniel inspired me! :P

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

Da-Bump.

Wow quiet around here now, hope everyone is busy watching their box sets or other series. I tried Caprica and besides the part of the robot girl that's starting to morph into SGU Chloe it doesn't look too bad. I hope they move on from the "I'm trapped in a robot brain" idea soon though. Too many teenagers wreck a sci-fi show don't you think?

In other observations I see D&D's latest podcast on SGA only attracted a handful of comments compared to the pages of them on other posts that deal with how bad SGU is. I bet someone at SyFy is doing an awful lot of data crunching and media consulting on what to do next about this Sci-fi stinkbomb.

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

For me the best series around when I was younger would have been Buck Rogers.
Seeing Erin Gray in spandex might have had a lot to do with that though

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

heh heh, I am knee deep in "24" Marathon runs. (Season 4 now). I am slowly letting my brain cells die a natural death while "Nucular" weapons are deployed by unemployed 7/11 employees and gas station attendants. I think I'll open a "socket" (whatever the heck that is :) ) while I wait for my Real SciFi fix

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

Yowzah, Erin Gray in spandex. I was in Love with her. I had a great Poster of Duck Dodgers Buck Rogers, and Col. Wilma Deering. Erin Gray was also in Silver Spoons, with Ricky Schroder.

Re: What do you enjoy watching or reading besides Stargate?

Canceltheturkey wrote
In other observations I see D&D's latest podcast on SGA only attracted a handful of comments compared to the pages of them on other posts that deal with how bad SGU is. I bet someone at SyFy is doing an awful lot of data crunching and media consulting on what to do next about this Sci-fi stinkbomb.
And they're all about how glad people are that the podcast was about SGA, and not SGU.  You tend to get less feedback when people are happy.