What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer
I discovered SG-1 in its sixth season on Skiffy.  I loved the Sci fi channel and it was a match made in heaven.  Then Atlantis came out and I immediately gravitated towards it.  I now had two shows that were not perfect but they were perfect for my science fiction nerdiness.  I was a fan of BSG but not in a hardcore sense and while Eureka is entertaining I don't want to get interested in the series until it ends because I don't want to become attached.  Unfortunately this has forced me to migrate to another network because I can no longer stand for what the Sci fi channel has done to their programming.  Which brings me to the point and my main question.  What shows have you discovered since SGU can no longer provide your sci fi fix?
    I saw that many of you are Babylon 5 fans.  While it is i a great show I had trouble with them changing the main character so early in the show and switching over to sheridan.  I want to know what shows are worth my time as a viewer.  Since SGU has been sucking I also recommend Burn notice and White Collar.
    Thank you for providing me with a place to read criticism about something I feel very strongly about.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer wrote
[...]
FastForward and Merlin.

If you have enough courage to sit through the first 3 drama episodes of FastForward it actually becomes rewarding to watch, also has crazy british physicist, apparently every show needs one nowadays.

Merlin, well, if it wasnt for the chemistry between Merlin and Arthur id probably call it dreck. Its like Sheppard and McKay, always fun to watch.

Well from earlier shows, im actually rewatching the whole of the 70s show, so im gonna be occupied for a while lol.

As for SF, well, theres just nothing on that deserves my attention, maybe V, but we will see about that.
Fringe can go ahead and die.

[...]

Welcome spacejunkminer!

Here are a couple of threads that answer that for you:

http://n2.nabble.com/What-do-you-enjoy-watching-or-reading-besides-Stargate-tp4427528ef3839896.html

http://n2.nabble.com/Chuck-is-Great-V-is-Good-and-Heroes-is-Okay-tp4420837ef3839896.html

They contain old and new entertainment for you if you're interested in reading them.  I would have added the one about B5 but it seems you already know about that show.  I'm currently watching Bab5 now, so no spoilers please.  :P  I probably wouldn't have the time for it if SGA were still on.  I have to keep my shows to a certain minimum.   I am close to being half way through season 1.  So far, I like it.  And, I also like that most everyone likes the show from beginning to end, so I don't have to worry about the same disappointment I suffered through with Atlantis.  That show could have been the best, and the writers/producers were so lame they just trashed it.  In spite of their crappiness it still ends up being a favorite of mine, just a painful favorite to a certain extent.  The actors and characters were great, so was the premise.  It just needed the right people in charge.  I can tell I'm probably preaching to the choir here so I'll stop.

Oh, and Fringe is a show I haven't watched since the first season.  It was good then, but I fell out of watching it.  :P  Right now, I'm good with B5.  Cheers.

EDIT:

And, I don't know about needing a Sci-Fi "fix."  That sounds too much like Brad Wright terminology.  I like Sci-Fi, but I'm not addicted to it.  But, that's just me.  LOL  :P

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer
Yea saw the comments and i know I have read a few posts from you.  I just discovered this website last night and am as of right now am head over heels happy that I have found people who share my opinion of SGU.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

A Nonny Mouse
Since the end of Atlantis and discovering that SGU is crap, I've gravitated more towards Doctor Who.  I loved it as a kid and fell in love all over again with David tennant.  Definitiely looking forward to seeing Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor at Easter.   I also watched Torchwood and I've been re-watching my Blakes 7 DVDs.  Unfortunately I never could get into BSG or Babylon 5.  I think I may give Farscape a try.  That one passed me by completely, but various people I know are encouraging me to give it a shot.  Unfortunately I seem to lack time more than anything.

Excellent topic for a thread BTW

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer
Thx A nossy mouse for the compliment

I found Farscape at Best buy for $70 for the entire series and had to buy it.  Unfortunately full screen is all i seem to be able to find it in ( I prefer widescreen).  I also enjoy Firefly and recommend it but for only one season it is still in around the $40 range and too expensive for some.  Although you have to buy the movie Serenity if you want a true ending to the one season series but you won't be disappointed.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer
To Atlantis4life

I know it sound like something Wright would say but I am honest enough with myself to admit i need a "fix."  I became attached to the characters of SG-1 and Atlantis and the way the storytelling completely engrossed the character.  That is why I am so angry and have almost completely given up on the Stargate franchise.  I hope they can pull SGU from the gutter and make it better but I still need a sci fi "fix."
I know how it sounds but i am a sci fi writer (I write novels) and need any and all inspiration but SGU cannot provide anything inspirational in terms of Science fiction.  Sorry about using the "fix' terminology and will try not to use it in the future but I do recognize that for the longest time now i have needed a fix and Scifi, SyFy, Skiffy cannot provide.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

A Nonny Mouse
I love Firefly.  :)   Great stuff.  :)

Actually I feel a bit guilty over Dollhouse.  I deliberately didn't start to watch it thinking that that Fox would cancel it & didn't want to get deeply involved in another show that wasn't going to last.  But it became a self fullfilling prophesy - Fox did cancel it because people weren't watching it.  Ah well, too late now.

I'm not bothered at all by whether a show is widescreen etc.  Hell, I adore Blakes 7 (1970's - shaky sets - grainy - BBC accents - appalling special effects) but what draws me in is the superb storylines.  If a story is enthralling I can forget about all the other stuff.

I live in the UK & Farscape seems to be really expensive.  I may get it cheap on Ebay.

Edit - Just edited to say.  I agree.  I'm another needing a sci fi fix.  I have worries in real life & need sci fi to take me away from it all.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

A Nonny Mouse wrote
Since the end of Atlantis and discovering that SGU is crap, I've gravitated more towards Doctor Who.  I loved it as a kid and fell in love all over again with David tennant.  Definitiely looking forward to seeing Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor at Easter.   I also watched Torchwood and I've been re-watching my Blakes 7 DVDs.  Unfortunately I never could get into BSG or Babylon 5.  I think I may give Farscape a try.  That one passed me by completely, but various people I know are encouraging me to give it a shot.  Unfortunately I seem to lack time more than anything.

Excellent topic for a thread BTW

Hey, what's Blakes 7?  Can you tell me what it's about?  It must be good if you're re-watching it.  I tried one episode of Dr. Who and it wasn't for me, and I think I tried an episode of Farscape (it was so long ago, I can barely remember) and it didn't grab me either.  I know I only tried watching one episode each during whatever season, but I could just tell that they weren't my style.  It's funny you mention BSG, because after I get through with B5, that's where I'm going.  :P  Hey, we can't all be the same, right?    I watched a few episodes of TOS and liked it.  I think I'll watch a bit more and then move on to the new BSG just to see if I like it.  I may or may not.  I'll have to see.  I hear that it's pretty different from TOS.  I never saw any Torchwood, so I don't know...

Sounds like we both have our plates full, though.  :P  Between Lost, Chuck, B5, and V (when it comes back) I'm pretty good on shows.  You sound like you've got your entertainment schedule full too.  Here's to great television!  Cheers.

Update:  Okay, nevermind my question.  It looks like you just answered it.  Thx.

[...]

Hey, I wasn't trying to make a "fix" seem like a bad thing.  And, no need to apologize.  It's good that you're being honest.  I am too.  I just can't help but to think of his scathing comments when I hear that term "sci-fi fix."  But, I'm not a hard core Sci-Fi person.  However, I do like Sci-Fi.  It's cool that you're a writer.  I would ask what novels you've written but that would affect your confidentiality.  So, I'll just say that I'm happy that we have you as a new member to the group.

You are so right about SGU not being able to provide inspiration, unless you're talking about how it inspires one to change the channel.  LOL.  It's good to start whatever thread you like, there are virtually no rules here.  I just provided the other threads for you just in case you wanted to know what all everyone else said.  However, there are always changes in viewing and new people to the forum that makes asking your question relevant.  Cheers.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Wow, Blake 7.. That seems like several lifetimes away. Loved watching Doctor Who (Jon Pertwee), and Blake 7, as a kid. I was also a huge fan of the Britcoms [only when I laugh, the Doctor Series, Mind your Language (which seems so politically wrong, nowadays), Metal Mickey, Some Mothers Do 'ave 'em, are you being served, just to name a few]. Though not from UK, we used to get shows from London Weekend Television (LWT), Grampian, Yorkshire TV, TyneTees, Granada, BBC etc. Good times.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

A Nonny Mouse
SGU inspires me to fall asleep.

But that's gone & done it.  You've asked me about Blakes 7.  I need physically restraining from writing reams and reams about it.

*takes deep breath*

Basically Blake is a freedom fighter framed for paedophilia by the evil Federation and sent to a penal colony.  He escapes with some other convicts in an advanced technology spaceship found floating Marie-Celeste like in space.  They vow to continue to fight the Federation or die.

It lasted for 4 seasons (52 episodes) and had a shock ending that still haunts me to this day.

Here's a good wiki article about it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake's_7

and here's a great fan vid that gives a an insight into the two main characters Blake and Avon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY

Finally the whole show is on You Tube & starts here with The Way Back

Phew!  I managed not to fill pages & pages about it!!

Edit - Happy days US06154!!

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

quite honestly, i need a sci-fi fix. there was no good SF show on since 2008, thats two goddamn years.

Movies only get you so far, and games, well, with my expertise they all feel the same, sort of.

Truly good titles/shows/movies only come out once in a while, but the last 2 years were abysymally bad.

I mean theres just so many reruns of Torchwood i can watch :P

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

@spacejunkminer
greetings and welcome
as i mentioned in a diferent thread i am a big fan of buck rogers. at the moment i am watching the box set of saphire and steel with joanna lumley and david mccullam but it does not seem as good as it used to be.
other than that i an watching a great show via torrents called spartacus blood and sand which stars lucy lawless of xena warrior princess fame getting naked all over the place

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

they should rerun mind your language but it would probably be banned for being too racist in todays politicaly correct climate.
metal mickey was ace, the best robot ever built.

some of those old channels used to show things like the sweeney and the professionals as well which were good cop/mi5 type programs.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer
No I don't mind if you ask me about my books and never will.  I also welcome criticism (unlike gayteworld).
The book is called, "Mining Mars" and it is my first serious attempt at a Sci fi novel but failed because it is only 66 pages.  It is at Amazon and can only be accessed if you have software that is compatible with accessing the Kindle site (since i don't have a kindle (too expensive) and i don't have the software to download it yet.
    I was interested in writing Sci fi before I discovered SG-1 or Atlantis but once I watched the show it inspired me to begin writing seriously.  I have submitted 120 pages of stargate shortstories to the webmaster of wraithfodder.com but I don't think he ever used them.  I just wish that there was a show that could once again could give me hope of being able to write in this genre.  Thus fare I have yet to discover any show that can inspire like SG-1, Atlantis and a little bit of BSG.  Maybe I'll just have to end up writing the show and inspire myself.

[...]

Kudos to you my man, i think writers are the most underrated and underpayed form of artists to date.

Seriously, everyone will be falling all over themselves to congratulate a Director or a Painter, but writers? hell no.
But if shit hits the fan, the writer is the one who gets blamed, after all the writer holds a lot of responsibility.
Thats why writers are constantly underrated and poorly payed with a lot of responsibility resting on their shoulders.

This is because you need to actually put effort into reading, so that scares most of the sheep off, any dumbass can sit and watch a flickering screen.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Willl
Blake's 7! Wow, that takes me back. That show rocked, I used to watch it as a kid. Zen ruled! "INNNNFORMATION"

I have really enjoyed Merlin so far. The first series was interesting, but I thought the second series was really great. What I like about it is that Merlin actually USES his powers. There are so many shows about wizards and other dudes with awesome powers, but they only use them a few times a season. The storylines aren't earth-shattering, but it's good solid entertainment.

Yeah, Dr. Who is a great example of a show that did successfully what Stargate has failed to do with SGU. Modern Dr. Who has appealed to a much larger crowd and has encompassed audience members who wouldn't class themselves "sci-fi buffs", but without alienating its original fanbase at all.

I'm watching the latest season of Heroes, but whereas the first couple of seasons had me glued to the screen and desperate to see what happened next, I find myself a bit indifferent to it now. Seasons 3 and 4 were so fast-moving as to be almost a blur, whereas for this season they seem to have slowed things riiiiggghhht down. Last couple of eps have been good, though.

Firefly was a nice distraction while it lasted. I wish they'd made more.

Hey, did anyone here ever watch Rodeberry's "Earth: Final Conflict", with the Taelons? I've been trying to find it on DVD as I only saw the first couple of seasons when it aired, but I know there was loads that happened later on that I missed, and I wonder if it was any good. I remember the first season was full of mystery and intrigue, but they kind of dropped that in favour of lots of action for the seasons that followed if I remember correctly. Either way I remember it being entertaining.

SG1 has been my favourite sci-fi show for the past decade or so (although I've always loved Star Trek too). I didn't have access to Atlantis until after I'd seen the full 10 seasons of SG1, and I was sceptical to begin with, but after the first few episodes I was totally hooked. I still personally prefer SG1, mainly because I loved the whole "humans as the underdogs fighting far superior aliens using nothing but our wit, ingenuity and allies" thing, but I really really miss Atlantis too.

Right now though I'm a bit stuck. I like to have a show to be "addicted to" but right now, nothing seems to be gripping me.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Phasevariance
A communication stone, now that thar is real inspiration.
SG1 and SGA always did it for me.  I think the Ancients was what really sucked me in though.

And welcome to the boards!

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Ah yes, BB5 and the early days of the internet. I have a season out right now but really don't have time to get into it, watching STNG at the moment. With stink like SGU around I really appreciate some of the STNG episodes and actors although it is too heavily modeled around the commercial breaks.

I didn't get replacing Sinclair with Sheridan on BB5 but Boxleitner managed to pull it off. Except for the last season where he was far too pussy-whipped to be interesting. One of the best episodes was a 2-parter where they managed to bring back Sinclair together with Sheridan.

Well will you look at that?

1234