What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Atlantis4Life
A Nonny Mouse wrote
SGU inspires me to fall asleep.

But that's gone & done it.  You've asked me about Blakes 7.  I need physically restraining from writing reams and reams about it.

*takes deep breath*

Basically Blake is a freedom fighter framed for paedophilia by the evil Federation and sent to a penal colony.  He escapes with some other convicts in an advanced technology spaceship found floating Marie-Celeste like in space.  They vow to continue to fight the Federation or die.

It lasted for 4 seasons (52 episodes) and had a shock ending that still haunts me to this day.

Here's a good wiki article about it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake's_7

and here's a great fan vid that gives a an insight into the two main characters Blake and Avon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY

Finally the whole show is on You Tube & starts here with The Way Back

Phew!  I managed not to fill pages & pages about it!!

Edit - Happy days US06154!!

Hey, thanks for the information on the show, and the detail, plus the links!  I'll be checking them out.

spacejunkminer wrote
No I don't mind if you ask me about my books and never will. I also welcome criticism (unlike gayteworld).
The book is called, "Mining Mars" and it is my first serious attempt at a Sci fi novel but failed because it is only 66 pages. It is at Amazon and can only be accessed if you have software that is compatible with accessing the Kindle site (since i don't have a kindle (too expensive) and i don't have the software to download it yet.
I was interested in writing Sci fi before I discovered SG-1 or Atlantis but once I watched the show it inspired me to begin writing seriously. I have submitted 120 pages of stargate shortstories to the webmaster of wraithfodder.com but I don't think he ever used them. I just wish that there was a show that could once again could give me hope of being able to write in this genre. Thus fare I have yet to discover any show that can inspire like SG-1, Atlantis and a little bit of BSG. Maybe I'll just have to end up writing the show and inspire myself.
I don’t know if your reply was to me or not, but here’s my response.   It’s too bad about the software because I prefer real books over the digital kind.  Yes, you can call me old-fashioned.  LOL.  But seriously, it’d be nice to read it.  SG-1 and SGA have inspired a lot of people to write fan fiction.  I see a lot of them talking about it over at GW.  But, you took it a step further, which is cool.  You used that inspiration to write a new story that you could have published.  That’s good.

Willl wrote
Blake's 7! Wow, that takes me back. That show rocked, I used to watch it as a kid. Zen ruled! "INNNNFORMATION"

I have really enjoyed Merlin so far. The first series was interesting, but I thought the second series was really great. What I like about it is that Merlin actually USES his powers. There are so many shows about wizards and other dudes with awesome powers, but they only use them a few times a season. The storylines aren't earth-shattering, but it's good solid entertainment.

Yeah, Dr. Who is a great example of a show that did successfully what Stargate has failed to do with SGU. Modern Dr. Who has appealed to a much larger crowd and has encompassed audience members who wouldn't class themselves "sci-fi buffs", but without alienating its original fanbase at all.

I'm watching the latest season of Heroes, but whereas the first couple of seasons had me glued to the screen and desperate to see what happened next, I find myself a bit indifferent to it now. Seasons 3 and 4 were so fast-moving as to be almost a blur, whereas for this season they seem to have slowed things riiiiggghhht down. Last couple of eps have been good, though.

Firefly was a nice distraction while it lasted. I wish they'd made more.

Hey, did anyone here ever watch Rodeberry's "Earth: Final Conflict", with the Taelons? I've been trying to find it on DVD as I only saw the first couple of seasons when it aired, but I know there was loads that happened later on that I missed, and I wonder if it was any good. I remember the first season was full of mystery and intrigue, but they kind of dropped that in favour of lots of action for the seasons that followed if I remember correctly. Either way I remember it being entertaining.

SG1 has been my favourite sci-fi show for the past decade or so (although I've always loved Star Trek too). I didn't have access to Atlantis until after I'd seen the full 10 seasons of SG1, and I was sceptical to begin with, but after the first few episodes I was totally hooked. I still personally prefer SG1, mainly because I loved the whole "humans as the underdogs fighting far superior aliens using nothing but our wit, ingenuity and allies" thing, but I really really miss Atlantis too.

Right now though I'm a bit stuck. I like to have a show to be "addicted to" but right now, nothing seems to be gripping me.
Hey, buddy.  You’re back again!  Thanks for the info.  Now, I might have to check out Merlin.  Dr. Who has so many versions I keep hearing of, I don’t know which one I watched.  :P  I might check it out again.  I’ll read up on it.

I feel the exact same way about Heroes.  I watched it, but I don’t think that they’ll get that same excitement back that the first 2 seasons had.  I think it’s time to start winding down that show.  Better to end it while it’s still somewhat interesting than to drive it into the ground.  I agree that the last few episodes were pretty good.  I’ll be watching it when it comes back.

I never watched "Earth: Final Conflict.”  It sounds interesting, though.  Out of my favorite shows, SGA continues to be the “painful“ one.  LOL.  I can’t have a complete opinion about SG-1 until I watch all of it.  That’s on the list after BSG.  There’re no shortages of shows for me to watch, thanks to the bunch here.  :P

If you want to watch something fun, you could try Chuck.

Canceltheturkey wrote
Ah yes, BB5 and the early days of the internet. I have a season out right now but really don't have time to get into it, watching STNG at the moment. With stink like SGU around I really appreciate some of the STNG episodes and actors although it is too heavily modeled around the commercial breaks.

I didn't get replacing Sinclair with Sheridan on BB5 but Boxleitner managed to pull it off. Except for the last season where he was far too pussy-whipped to be interesting. One of the best episodes was a 2-parter where they managed to bring back Sinclair together with Sheridan.

Well will you look at that?

It’s always sad to see that someone passed.  I’m still in season 1 of the show so I didn’t check to see who Zathras was.  I’m trying to avoid the spoilers.  Thanks for the info, though.  I watched an episode of TNG about a week ago.  That show is great.  I’ve always enjoyed it.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

I've been following Merlin, merlin and arthur is like spock and kirk. Warehouse 13 as well but both series are summer series, I've been digging up old stuff to like Farscape. But for my scifi fill I go to my 10 boxes of SG1 baby!

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer
This post was updated on .
I just saw the Babylon 5 trailer for lost tales awesome*
After SG-1 and Atlantis were cancelled I started keeping eyes open for science fiction that is turning into Science fact.  I am thrilled about the progress with Space X and elon musk.  I wish him the best because when it comes to space the private company that is making the most progress is Space x.  I also had one other series that I have heard much about but have not seen.
The ghost in the shell movies I would like to know if they are worth the time to watch?

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer
Hey ATLANTIS4LIFE

Truthfully I would have preferred the real book instead of the electronic one as well but I have done extensive research and Amazon was free to publish on.  Although that doesn't mean it is a service they provide freely, they get a percent of each sale.  For anyone out there who is also a writer i suggest the electronic way if you are short on funds because joining the writers guild and hiring an agent are expensive expenditures.

Didnt they replace Sinclair because the actor was extremely bitchy about how the show is stupid and he doesnt wat to act in it anymore?

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Canceltheturkey
AdamTM wrote
Didnt they replace Sinclair because the actor was extremely bitchy about how the show is stupid and he doesnt wat to act in it anymore?
I know they brought Boxleitner in as a ladie's man to boost ratings. Likely a network imposition than Straczynski.

From Wiki Straczynski, J. Michael (May 1994), "About Michael O'Hare's Departure", The Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5, "As a result of these discussions, it has been agreed that we will have a separation, in the role of the commander. Let me emphasize this very clearly, so there is no chance of miscommunication: this is a mutual, amicable, and friendly separation. This isn't a Tasha Yar situation. Moreover, we will be handling this in such a way that, down the road, Sinclair could potentially return to the story. The character of Sinclair will achieve an important destiny, and the mystery of the Battle of the Line will be explained, both in the first episode of the new season. His story will still track. And the series will still track precisely as planned. I take pains to mention this because both Michael and I want it clear that we both believe in the show, and want this in no way to interfere with the series. He has asked me to convey for him his encouragement, his best wishes, and to emphasize that this is, again, an amicable and friendly separation."

Like I said, the early internet days where Straczynski used to post on Genie rather than PO people with shots of nauseating food.

Now that's the CIA cover story. I think it's a bit like why Torri Higginson left SGA. We'll never know because one party will have to burn the other real bad and their agent would advise against it. That's a story for another thread.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

stonelesscutter
Well I have just started watching Caprica and so far I think it is alright. Better than SGU anyways, but I'm not feeling very strongly about it yet as I am sort of waiting to see where it goes. Lately I've been watching Sliders which is not a very good series in any respect and has a lot of cheesy bits but still it keeps me watching for now. I doubt I will watch those episodes more than once though. Also I liked Firefly and I think it's a shame that series got cancelled.
All of these I discovered after the mid season break in SGU started. And then there is ofcourse Sanctuary which is pretty neat and has been around for a few seasons already. The last episode of season two was pretty bad though with good old doctor what's-his-name-from-atlantis-with-the-scottish-accent portraying a character really very poorly. But hey, it's way better than SGU so far.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

stonelesscutter
spacejunkminer wrote
...I was interested in writing Sci fi before I discovered SG-1 or Atlantis but once I watched the show it inspired me to begin writing seriously.  I have submitted 120 pages of stargate shortstories to the webmaster of wraithfodder.com but I don't think he ever used them...
Dude!!!!
Put up a torrent for us already with these short stories.
Don't you realise how many SG fans are just dying to get their teeth into some new stargate?
It can't be worse than SGU can it? So let us have a read then

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

stonelesscutter
Willl wrote
Hey, did anyone here ever watch Rodeberry's "Earth: Final Conflict", with the Taelons? I've been trying to find it on DVD as I only saw the first couple of seasons when it aired, but I know there was loads that happened later on that I missed, and I wonder if it was any good. I remember the first season was full of mystery and intrigue, but they kind of dropped that in favour of lots of action for the seasons that followed if I remember correctly. Either way I remember it being entertaining.
Earth Final Conflict gdamn that's one I'm definetely going to watch. I remember having seen a couple of episodes on tv a long time ago and I found it quite intriguing. I forgot all about it.
Found this torrent that has all 5 seasons if you have the 30+ gigs of drivespace and bandwidth to spare, although after reading the comments it might be recommendable to get season 5 elsewhere...
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3617947/Earth_Final_Conflict_-_Season_1-5_%28All_seasons%29_And_Soundtrack

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

does anyone remember Starfleet with X-Bomber? A truly classic puppet show that ran for about 24 half hour episodes.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

stonelesscutter
never ever seen or heard about it before
dare I ask if it is any good?

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Its awesome. Loads of action and space battles starting with the evil baddies atacking Pluto base in search of the mysterious F01 and then moving on to attack Earth. Only the prototype X-Bomber and its crew can save Earth and solve the mystery. The crew of X-Bomber can also use the three smaller craft attached to X-Bomber as seperate fighters or they can join together to create the mighty Dai-X robot that can be seen on the cover of the DVD.
The theme tune was written and sung by Paul Bliss who was part of a famous rock group.
For an in depth write up check out sfxb.co.uk which has loads about the show.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer
The poster looks awesome.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

stonelesscutter
now why do them puppets remind me of lego....

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

http://www.sfxb.co.uk/vids/StarFleetDaixJunction.wmv

this link is for where the three smaller craft join together in the show

http://www.sfxb.co.uk/vids/StarFleetClosing.wmv

this one is the closing sequence

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

stonelesscutter
I don't mean to trample on any feelings but damn...
Oh my god this is some bad shit. It comes across as a thunderbirds+transformers knock off. But then again this was probably made ages ago in the days when colour tv had just been invented right?
As far as that music is concerned it probably ended that poor singer's career.
But thanks for posting it man.
This kinda makes SGU seem enjoyable.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

I would say that your description was quite fair and accurate and Paul Bliss did take a dive career wise soon after. This was made in the early 80s and was originally by a japanese manga type company. It probably appeals more if you were 10 - 12 when it came out.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

stonelesscutter
I don't think this ever aired in The Netherlands. Otherwise I might have seen it as a lil kid. Ofcourse there are many shows which never get aired here. Only the ones that have proven to be a success in the states get their chance. I doubt sgu will ever be on tv here for that reason.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

stonelesscutter wrote
Well I have just started watching Caprica and so far I think it is alright. Better than SGU anyways, but I'm not feeling very strongly about it yet as I am sort of waiting to see where it goes. Lately I've been watching Sliders which is not a very good series in any respect and has a lot of cheesy bits but still it keeps me watching for now. I doubt I will watch those episodes more than once though. Also I liked Firefly and I think it's a shame that series got cancelled.
All of these I discovered after the mid season break in SGU started. And then there is ofcourse Sanctuary which is pretty neat and has been around for a few seasons already. The last episode of season two was pretty bad though with good old doctor what's-his-name-from-atlantis-with-the-scottish-accent portraying a character really very poorly. But hey, it's way better than SGU so far.
LOL.  So we clash again on Paul McGillion aka SGA's doctor Carson Beckett. :P  It's okay.  I know you like Keller, so I'll leave that one alone.  We're just not going to agree there. :P

I liked him as Wexford in Sanctuary, but that's just me.  Paul's a great actor.  I totally agree with you about Sanctuary being better than SGU by far, though.  Cheers.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

stonelesscutter
Don't get me wrong, I really liked dr. Beckett on Atlantis and was amazed/disturbed that they killed him off like they did. As far as I was concerned he was just as important as a character as Shepperd, McKay, Weir and the bunch. I could believe him being a doctor. On Sanctuary on the other hand, he just feels like some annoying little booger stuck up my nose that itches and doesn't want to come out. I really couldn't see him as a 'powerful' character to challenge dr. Magnus.
1234