What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer
I would have liked Michael (the wraith) to have made a clone and kept the original Dr. Becket.  Then when the clone died and everyone thought he was dead bring him back for real.  I know it would have been predicatable but at least then we wouldn't have had a clone instead of the real thing.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

stonelesscutter
Damn cloning! It should be against the law!!
Oh wait... it is.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Willl
I remember Star Fleet! I used to have some of the episodes on VHS when I was a kid, I loved it :) They have recently released all the episodes digitally remastered on DVD (I guess your pic is the cover of that), a friend of mine bought it recently and we watched the whole thing through, for the sake of nostalgia. Ok, by modern standards the effects suck, but this was created over 30 years ago as a Japanese puppet show that was later dubbed into English. The storyline is awesome though. And it's definitely much better than SGU, I'll take puppets-on-rods over vomit-inducing shakey-cam any day :P

Regarding the soundtrack, this was done when synths were all the rage. Brian May and Van Halen actually covered a load of the songs from Star Fleet and made an album called Star Fleet Project.

Thanks for posting this piginpoo, brought back memories :) X-Impulse fire!

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Willl
Cheers mate :) If you want to check out Dr. Who, I'd suggest starting off with the first of the "modern" series, where the Doctor is played by Christopher Eccleston. This is usually referred to as Dr. Who series 1 these days, even though there were many seasons of the "old" Dr. Who produced many decades ago. Eccleston only did one series, and David Tennant followed and played the Doctor in the next 3, plus several one-off specials. Season 5 will start soon with a new Doctor.

Once you've watched some of the modern series, if you are interested, you could go back and find some of the classic Dr. Who, which although dated, was totally awesome for its time. In my opinion this is a perfect example of how to succesfully revive a franchise.  They kept storyline continuity with the previous shows, and they kept the core values that made the show so great before.

Btw did anyone used to watch The Outer Limits?

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Leo(T.C.K.)
I did watch Outer Limits, multiple episodes. But I didn't like that voice always talking during beginning and end etc yuck...

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer
Is it sad that SGU has forced me to abandon the skiffy channel and go to USA network and watch reruns of firefly on dvd over and over and over and ....

Going to go crazy... oh well people know me well where the padded walls fill every room.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

stonelesscutter
Just hold on spacejunk, in about two weeks time SGU may give you entirely new reasons to watch even more reruns of Firefly.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer
Thanks for making me laugh stoneless.  I need the humor because as I watch this site get stronger by the week the hard-core sci fi people are going to do what I do and even if we have to resort to Burn notice and White collar at least the writing is good.  SGU will be the death of Sci fi's long-time viewership numbers.  I hope we don't have to resort to a TOR channel but another Science Fiction show wouldn't be a bad idea.  It keeps a company lean when it has a competition and right now SyFy has no competition in this genre.  Cop shows have competition, sports shows have competition, even the news has competion through multiple channels.  This is why this programming is so organized.  The mini-movies of SyFy only proves that they don't have competition and can fling money after monster movie projects.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Rac80
spacejunkminer wrote
Thanks for making me laugh stoneless.  I need the humor because as I watch this site get stronger by the week the hard-core sci fi people are going to do what I do and even if we have to resort to Burn notice and White collar at least the writing is good.  SGU will be the death of Sci fi's long-time viewership numbers.  I hope we don't have to resort to a TOR channel but another Science Fiction show wouldn't be a bad idea.  It keeps a company lean when it has a competition and right now SyFy has no competition in this genre.  Cop shows have competition, sports shows have competition, even the news has competion through multiple channels.  This is why this programming is so organized.  The mini-movies of SyFy only proves that they don't have competition and can fling money after monster movie projects.

I have always been disappointed in sciffy's programing... too much "reality" and not enough classic sci-fi! Ever notice that Burn Notice's voice-overs are like the ones on MacGyver? (my daughter has that series and loves it! )

What do I watch these days?  well I have 15 seaons plus two movies of sg1 and sga, we own BSG --the original series (didn't like the remake at all!), firefly on dvd (it's available at sam's club locally for $18.99) and the original V, both miniseries and series., the "fan collectives" of Star Treks and various trek movies. (I am NOT a fan of TNG! )  in non scifi- we recently got the first two seasons of The Commish and have been enjoying them a lot! we watch a lot of documentaries...too much of what is on tv is dreck and drivel.  Although we love the remake of V thus far!

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

spacejunkminer
I hesitate promote this show because I haven't completely made up my mind about it yet.  On the whole I have to give it an eight out of ten.  Legend of the Seeker is about young people but the books are really cool and since it is their first season I don't recommend anyone buy the dvds, but do watch it on Hulu and let me know what you think.  It does have a young cast with the exception of Zed the wizard but I think that it is a show that has a lot of potential.  Remember I say this with a skewed vision of the series because i have read more than half of the books but never finished the seriers because it is 13 books and each book has over six or seven hundred pages per book.  I give the pilot a ten out of ten and the season finale a ten as well but the episodes in between i am on the fence about.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Bluce Ree
I discovered that I have a talent for aiming my toe-nail clippings. I broke my own record today. Got it into the kitchen sink from the couch way across in the living room.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Bluce Ree
Overmind One wrote
stonelesscutter wrote
OMG...they dont know what they are in for! The second half will be the same stew as the first 10, because it was all cooked at once and canned about the time that "Air" premiered. They have made no changes or rewrites, so I have absolutely no reason to expect anything special. It will suck BIG.
You mean you're not going to watch Greer's "coming to terms with himself" flashback episode? But what about all that childhood abuse and family issues storyline? Or the action you'll miss involving him stuck under a pile of rubble?

[...]

Legend of the seeker is something you watch when Merlin isnt on.

IMHO, season 2 started of really strong, and then went downhill into filler land.

I fucking loved the episode with the young Zed, a lot of potential in that plot line. Same with Richard dieing from his magic botteling up inside him, great concept, poorly executed.

In a way it reminds me of Wheel of Time, sorta.
sX2

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

sX2
Rac80 wrote
spacejunkminer wrote
[...]

Since you just brought on MacGyver; I've been watching a couple of episodes of MacGyver lately and they were actually pretty good (I'd say awesome but people might think I'm crazy)

Initially I just watched for my RDA fix, but the funny thing is, that even if some storylines are pretty far fetched the writing is quite decent (especially compared to SGU)...and it's fun to watch Jack O'Neill fix a computer with a hairpin and a piece of duct tape. Also you get to see a lot of actors before they became famous, just watched Nana Visitor (Major Kira from DS9).

So, to stay on topic, I guess I've re-discovered MacGyver
Jackson: I wouldn't say this to anyone else, but for the first time, I'm scared.
O'Neill: I'm hungry.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Binar
Lost, Heroes, Battlestar Galactica (Re-imaged), Dr Who (2005), Torchwood, Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles, All Star Trek series (except the original), Eureka, The 4400, Fringe, Dollhouse, Flashforward, Primeval, Firefly, Caprica, V, The Unit, Prison Break, 24, House MD & of course SGA & SG1.

Thats more or less a list of my fav shows, all of which by someone who is a fan of SGU.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Binar wrote
[...] all of which by someone who is a fan of SGU.
You see, that kind of confrontational attitude tends to start a flamewar.

Liking/disliking other shows doesnt invalidate/validate your position on SGU, its in fact completely irrelevant.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Binar
I apologise I don't wish to start a flamewar, only said that to get across that not all SGU fans are soap opera fanatics.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

Binar wrote
I apologise I don't wish to start a flamewar, only said that to get across that not all SGU fans are soap opera fanatics.
Well, as not all SGU haters are drama haters.
House is very much a drama, so is Heroes, i enjoy both.

Want hardcore SF drama? Watch "Enemy Mine", best fucking SF drama ever. I cried. Anyone that doesnt cry while watching that movie is a robot.

Re: What have you discovered since SGU began sucking?

sX2 wrote
Rac80 wrote
spacejunkminer wrote
[...]

oh there are Stargate actors on Macgyver... Chris Judge as a teen-ager, the guy who plays Narim and Simon, Don S. Davis, &  Bill Dow (Dr. Lee) to name just a few. Actually saw Bill Dow on a Commish ep...it too was filmed in vancouver.
Who can forget Terri hatcher's hysterical turns as Penny Parker???? She was such a riot in it! Cuba Gooding Jr. as one of the Colton Brothers (I actually enjoyed that brief spin-off!) was enjoyable too.  Periodically I will snurch one of my daughter's dvds and enjoy some eps.
1234